Feedback please

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
mars_dog_invasion

Feedback please

#1 Post by mars_dog_invasion »

Game1.png
Hello,
I am developing a game and this is one of the first images of the game design.
Please let me know how you like it and what I could improve.

Thanks

yayamiho
Deviantart: yayamiho-chan

Re: Feedback please

#2 Post by yayamiho »

Hello!

I see your art is very cute and has an interesting concept. However, I'd advise you to keep in mind 4 things:

1. Upon opening the image I can see the pixelization on the edge of the sprite. For that you could either make the resolution bigger or try to meticulously erase the pixelated edges.
2. The character is way too much onto the right side. You might take note to study about photography in this case. If you set a grid 3x3, you'll find the points where the 4 lines of the grid meet are the "golden points". Where the eyes are most likely to be attracted to. In this case you could drag your char to the right line, making sure the head of the character is on the upper right intersection of lines.
3. Still following the photography studies, I'd advise you to, instead of making the background something seen from the front, make it be seen either at a 3/4 perspective if possible. It shall bring a feeling of perspective and make it less flat.
4. The artistic languages of the sprite and the background are not in accordance, so I'd advise you to either make the character more realistic or lessen the textures of the background and make it less realistic.

Good luck at your project ^^ Hope I helped in some way-

mars_dog_invasion

#3 Post by mars_dog_invasion »

Thank you for your professional feedback.

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#4 Post by verysunshine »

I agree with what yayamiho said. In addition, the shading on the character looks strange. The light coming from her side appears to just be pasted on, and not a natural part of the shading.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#5 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Hello! I also agree on what yayamiho and verysunshine said, I want to point out that the shadows look a bit strange
Also, I just want to point out things that I think can improve the character art a bit mostly on the lineart, because seeing the image at the moment it looks a bit stiff. Making it a bit thick and thin on some sides can change things a lot!

I tried to make a quick mock-up of what I think the lines should look like, but since I'm still learning it should've still had some mistakes :"D (I'd also recommend to learn how to draw foldings on clothes)

Overall I think this looks pretty nice, wish you all the best for the project!