Stock character sprite assets?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
wintrydrop
itch: wintrydrop

Stock character sprite assets?

#1 Post by wintrydrop »

Hey everyone!

I'm wondering how does the community feel about stock character sprite assets (in .psd format) that can be purchased to use for their own projects?
I've seen recently DejiNyucu and Konett doing so, and I'm considering starting something similar.

I have always ALWAYS wanted to create art for small VN projects however I have a full time job (artist for a video game company) and can't fully commit in the near future. :( I'm starting to think something like this would allow me to contribute and help new developers. Occasionally, sprite packs will also be released for free!

Regarding licenses, I'll have to look up more about it but my basic idea is once they buy the sprite file, it will be theirs to use and edit, for commercial use or not; similar to how stock images or resources work. And crediting would be nice as well, but not necessary. (I would still love to see how and where they'll be used though! :D )

Basically they would be sprites of somewhat typically "generic" or background characters such as:
  • "Peppy blond school girl 1"
  • "Male police officer"
  • "Brunette female teacher"
  • "Friendly elderly woman" etc.
(Placeholder names may be given though)

These sprite file assets could also be tiered in regards to what they include. At their most basic type, they will have various simple expression toggles, and others will include more poses, clothing (uniform/pajamas etc), color palettes, hair styles etc. at higher prices.

Obviously the purpose of these are meant to be treated like regular stock images or placeholders, even bases for further editing and design of the developer as they wish (to fit their own ideal style). I may also expand to creating item sets and backgrounds in the future. I'm slowly figuring this out the moment, considering things here and there and see if there's enough people interested. What do you guys think?
π’Ήπ“Šπ“‚ π“ˆπ“…π’Ύπ“‡π‘œ π“ˆπ“…π‘’π“‡π‘œ
Art Instagram // Artstation // Tumblr

HexVexed
Tumblr: HexVexed
itch: HexVexed

Re: Stock character sprite assets?

#2 Post by HexVexed »

A teacher sprite would be super useful, personally! Maybe several hairstyles, glasses/no glasses. In addition to that, a mother/father character -- people might stop making parents MIA if they actually exist! :P As for outfits, I don't have anything specific -- but the more generic, the better!
・β€₯β€¦β”β”β”β”β”β”β”β˜† Beyond You! β˜†β”β”β”β”β”β”β”β€¦β€₯・
Dating Sim // Meta Mystery // Horror

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

#3 Post by puppetbomb »

Something to keep in mind about commercial licenses is how much of an allowance you are giving a company/developer.

For instance, Blambot allows independent publishers to freely use their free fonts, whereas major publishers MUST pay a license fee. Other examples are licenses per unit sold (usually in increments of 500), limits on promotional use (advertising, merchandising), and in what type of work the assets can be used (ie: cannot be used for R/NC-17 projects).

I've yet to find someone who has had any negative experiences sharing free assets. But IMO having an idea what you will or won't allow will be useful if you consider selling assets in the future.

Siglak
Deviantart: GreatSpiritDM

#4 Post by Siglak »

I am presently working on my first game and spriting has been a significant difficulty. It's a school game, and given the prevalence of school games in the VN community, you'd think that there'd be a lot of available resources. While there ARE a fair number of free sprites for these kinds of games, they usually don't support a large cast of characters--and rarely if ever do you see important supporting characters like parents and teachers. I broke down and bought some cheap placeholder sprites, which I've been editing in gimp. It's not ideal, since I'm not a huge fan of the style and there aren't enough expressions, but at least I now have a full cast of high school students in the same uniform. If I could pull from a public sprite pool, this process would be so much easier.