Art Dimensions Question

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
raynetempura

Art Dimensions Question

#1 Post by raynetempura »

Hello! I'm creating my first VN, a sci-fi suspense/psychological horror, with Ren'Py and I'm hiring an artist. I plan to make the game at 1920x1080 resolution. What dimensions should I request my backgrounds, CGs, and character sprites be? I've read the backgrounds should be much bigger than screen resolution to allow for zoom and movement without pixelation, but what about the character art?

I've tried looking it up but I see so many different answers about different things, so I thought I would ask. Thank you so much for your time!

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Art Dimensions Question

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

You generally want character art to be larger than your screen resolution for the same reason as the backgrounds - you can zoom in on them with no pixelation.

The game I am working on is meant to be 1080p, but I am making my assets in 4K (3860x2140). This is both to future proof my assets in case I want to release a 4K version in the future and also to make zooming and panning still look nice.

raynetempura

Re: Art Dimensions Question

#3 Post by raynetempura »

Okay, thank you so much for the response! That's smart to leave yourself that option. I'll pass the information along to my artist.