Pain points of current VN engines? What makes an engine attractive to artists?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
IamJay

Pain points of current VN engines? What makes an engine attractive to artists?

#1 Post by IamJay » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi,

I'm a programmer who is developing a custom engine that I plan to use to run my upcoming VN and/or dating sim projects.
I'm mostly new to VNs and the VN community.

Although I have my own vision of which features I would like to see implemented, I'm also curious what features/characteristics in my engine would allow me to attract artists to collaborate with me on creating games with this technology.

Are there any pain points that artists and creators in general face with current available platforms?
Would love to learn more about this subject.

Elsa Kisiel
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

Re: Pain points of current VN engines? What makes an engine attractive to artists?

#2 Post by Elsa Kisiel » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:18 am

Is that question aiming at game's programmer? Or at writer/visual artist/sound artist?
-- Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my drawings, comics, songs, video games, novels and goodies. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching! https://www.artstation.com/elsakisiel --

IamJay

Re: Pain points of current VN engines? What makes an engine attractive to artists?

#3 Post by IamJay » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:12 pm

Could be for anyone, but the focus is what makes an engine good or bad regarding visuals/graphics.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:36 pm

I think I understand what you're asking. Your engine should be able to accommodate multiple video formats (for example wmv, mp4, avi,ogg).
All of my VNs are at http://wolflore.net
Some are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb

#5 Post by puppetbomb » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:57 am

I don't think artists are motivated to work with someone based on the engine they use.

(Though I have refused to work with a client when they asked me to work in GIMP.)

GNVE
Regular
Completed: ShSt - Bad Day
Projects: ShSt - Afterparty, Collings University
itch: https://gnve.itch.io

#6 Post by GNVE » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Idk if this is what you want to know but what drew me to the Renpy platform was that is was very easy to use and to create simple (or even moderately complex) visual novels. This includes that it is based on Python. I tried and failed quite a number of times to learn a programming language. Python is the first I'm able to stick to because it's tutorials are great. The language itself is easy read and write (no fluff I'd almost say it's wysiwyg) without giving up any power in what you can create.
Renpy is also quite feature complete so you can have the most basic novel with all features you'd want knocked out in an evening if you'd have to. As a noob in programming that is just awesome.

As a player I like Renpy because of easy controls, quick saving (RMB), skipping dialogue and the ability go back to an earlier point in the game with the scroll-wheel. Generally other oft-used (visual novel) engines lack one or more features. A game made for instance in RPG maker I'll generally skip because (i think) the controls are awful (for a VN or otherwise).
(But tbh I think a lot of Renpy games would be better if they railroaded the player a little more rather than trying to create an open world and ending up with a lifeless world and a player who can't progress without a walkthrough half the time.)
And Unity works well but it takes a lot of work (seen on WIPs I've tried) to get it up to a level where Renpy starts.
What I'm trying to say here is don't forget about the player if you want someone to play your VN as well.