Please help me decide on an Art Style.

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Redemyr

Please help me decide on an Art Style.

#1 Post by Redemyr »

Hello!

I'm starting a new project, in which I'll be the writer and programmer. My drawing skills are non existent though, so I’ll be commissioning the art. I’ve found one and we are currently deciding which style to go for.

Here are some samples of the main Heroine, Emma (18). There were three styles initially but we’ve narrowed it down to two.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

(I’d create a poll to make things easier but I can’t)

Style 1: Minimalist.
Acording to her, this is easier to draw, so the VN would have more assets in general for the same budget.
Emma v1 Face.jpeg
Emma v1 Full Body.jpeg

Style 2: Semi-realistic.
I'm personally leaning on this a little more, although there would less CGs.
Emma v2 Face.jpeg
Emma v2 Full Body.jpeg

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Please help me decide on an Art Style.

#2 Post by Zelan »

I guess it depends how important it is to you to have more assets. If you think the VN would be improved by having more overall assets, you should go for the first option, unless you think your budget can cover the extra assets in the second style.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the second option as well, but both styles are beautiful and would catch my interest if I saw a commercial VN using the style.

Redemyr

Re: Please help me decide on an Art Style.

#3 Post by Redemyr »

Zelan wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:17 am Personally, I'm leaning towards the second option as well, but both styles are beautiful and would catch my interest if I saw a commercial VN using the style.
Thanks for the reply!

Exactly! I think style 1 is beautiful too and If she had told me, "I can make what you asked in this style", I would have gone for that. But since she gave me options (which I believe is a good thing), here we are.