Looking for advice

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
mlgg_21

Looking for advice

#1 Post by mlgg_21 »

Sketch
Sketch
Hello everyone! Im making a visual novel and Im going pretty slow, only because of my insecurity.
I have draw my heroine a lot of times and now I think I found the right style for my art.
Any suggestion? Anything will be appreciated. Its a fast sketch but once I have confirmed it, I will proceed to digital coloring
Also I know how to draw clothes but Im not having any inagination at all. Someone has any tutorial or reference worth looking?
Thanks!

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

Re: Looking for advice

#2 Post by puppetbomb »

For a fast sketch, it's very clean and wouldn't look out of place as final lineart.

Because your aesthetics look good as far as I can tell, my advice is to focus on consistency. When you are at the inking and rendering stage, I encourage you to work on 2-4 characters at once. This way you can 1) avoid burnout and 2) gauge the amount of detail you can stomach over an extended period of time.

For clothes, take cues from the character's personality or what kind of first impression you want to make. Are they sporty/tomboy-ish? Girly/sweet? Goth/edgy? Here's some examples of adding a few details to create a stronger first impression:

It's not the most fashionable choice of clothing, but it gives a stronger impression. If you're trying to hit a deadline and don't have the time for R&D, this is the way to go.

If you want to improve your sense of fashion (not character design. Character design resources won't help much with fashion), I suggest setting aside time to research and sketch out outfits. Search Youtube for style makeovers and especially pay attention to things you hear often. Use the words "work", "street", casual", "semi-casual" and "formal" to narrow down search results.

Also check out https://lookbook.nu/. Note different material textures (fur, leather, vinyl, knit, cotton, metal), cuts (fitted, loose, baggy) and lengths (sleeves, pant legs, skirts) and how they're used in an outfit. Use accessories to show more of a character's personality/interests.

If you like manga, Real Clothes gets more into the logic and mechanics of styling and even has some examples of what doesn't work (it's also a good read too :3).

mlgg_21

#3 Post by mlgg_21 »

puppetbomb wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:57 pm For a fast sketch, it's very clean and wouldn't look out of place as final lineart.

Because your aesthetics look good as far as I can tell, my advice is to focus on consistency. When you are at the inking and rendering stage, I encourage you to work on 2-4 characters at once. This way you can 1) avoid burnout and 2) gauge the amount of detail you can stomach over an extended period of time.

For clothes, take cues from the character's personality or what kind of first impression you want to make. Are they sporty/tomboy-ish? Girly/sweet? Goth/edgy? Here's some examples of adding a few details to create a stronger first impression:

It's not the most fashionable choice of clothing, but it gives a stronger impression. If you're trying to hit a deadline and don't have the time for R&D, this is the way to go.

If you want to improve your sense of fashion (not character design. Character design resources won't help much with fashion), I suggest setting aside time to research and sketch out outfits. Search Youtube for style makeovers and especially pay attention to things you hear often. Use the words "work", "street", casual", "semi-casual" and "formal" to narrow down search results.

Also check out https://lookbook.nu/. Note different material textures (fur, leather, vinyl, knit, cotton, metal), cuts (fitted, loose, baggy) and lengths (sleeves, pant legs, skirts) and how they're used in an outfit. Use accessories to show more of a character's personality/interests.

If you like manga, Real Clothes gets more into the logic and mechanics of styling and even has some examples of what doesn't work (it's also a good read too :3).
Thank you so much!!!! Really appreciate it! You provided me a lot of links and advices I will surely look into and work with. I hope soon to find the right clothes for my charachters. Also I have a special bad time drawing men's clothes... I will just practice drawing only outfits as you say. Althought its not the very fun for me, if I want to release my otome soon, I need to sort this out ^^" I think I focus too much in eyes, face and hair and all the other stuff I just dont feel motivated to draw. Once again, thank u for the references and your drawing, really makes me encourage myself!

Rosarot
itch: Rosarot

#4 Post by Rosarot »

I love your style
It kinda reminds me of the 90ies/00ies(?)
Looks flawless too

As for the outfits, I can't relate because drawing outfits is my favourite part
I think mlgg_21's advice is great
Maybe think about what the Character wants to project to the world
Do they care about their clothes? Are they fashionable? Do they like to show their skin? Or do they use clothes to hide? Are they rich/poor? Do they wanna fit in or distance themselves by choosing an alternative style? Are they into a music genre or video games and do they wear merch? Etc etc

You could go on Instagram or Pinterest for inspiration too