Drawing new linear and colors over 3D model in Roomstyler (free online interior design service)?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
dory2007

Drawing new linear and colors over 3D model in Roomstyler (free online interior design service)?

#1 Post by dory2007 »

I have made a mockup of my characters' home and office interiors in Roomstyler and was wondering if it's ethical to trace 3D models and recolor from that site. I am doing all of my game's art myself, and am not great at drawing backgrounds from scratch. Has anyone used this particular software/method before?

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Drawing new linear and colors over 3D model in Roomstyler (free online interior design service)?

#2 Post by Zelan »

I don't know if there are any rules about tracing from that service in particular, but many artists use programs like Blender or Google SketchUp to create backgrounds that can then be traced. I would check Roomstyler's Terms of Service to see if there are any limitations to how you can use the designs - if not, you should be fine. (:

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

Re: Drawing new linear and colors over 3D model in Roomstyler (free online interior design service)?

#3 Post by puppetbomb »

I checked out RoomStyler, and it looks like you have the tools to make an interior bg that won't be too obviously generated by this specific site. 1-2 point perspective backgrounds are so prevalent that whoever has time to prove you traced it is probably a sign of a stalker with an unusually idle hands.

That said, it comes down to what you're changing in the room once you trace over it.

Artwork, posters and patterns/designs printed on products may be proprietary work and may infringe on another artist's rights if you lift them straight from the site. Those I strongly suggest to change (it looks you use 3D models of actual products. Even more reason to avoid tracing those parts of the render).

If you want to add more details to divorce it even more from the original rendering, add small areas of chaos. Things like clothes draped over furniture, books laying out in the open, fallen plushies, etc. It'll make the place feel more lived-in (if that's what you're going for) and give it character too.