Can you please tell me if my sprites face looks wrong!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
CeruliDaruli
Tumblr: cerulisketch
Deviantart: BubbkeGumHippo

Can you please tell me if my sprites face looks wrong!

#1 Post by CeruliDaruli »

So, my friend who I'm co-writing this VN for told me that the sprite I drew has a weird face. Now there are a myriad of things I could say I dislike about the sprite, but his face shape- I'm not so sure about that one. Could anyone give their opinion? Essentially she thinks his cheek goes inwards to much. I'm not sure why she suddenly thinks this when I've sent her numerous pictures of him (not inmed or painted) and she said she loved him- but yah know I'm probably just a bit bitter :roll: . I'm hoping that I'm not wrong but I know it's not impossible or improbable!
the characters face
the characters face
Thanks for reading!

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

Re: Can you please tell me if my sprites face looks wrong!

#2 Post by puppetbomb »

Did she say what they thought was weird about it? If she can't say, tell her you'll put it on the back burner and work on other things (other characters, scripts, etc.) while she figures it out.

If this is a character that has a lot of screen time, I would say to revisit it when all the assets are finished. It's better to do changes in waves rather than completely stopping production for every little thing that comes up. Prioritize having a complete set of assets first, then go back to polish. By that time, you'll be able to make changes based on a cohesive appearance rather than a single asset, and your project can only benefit from that.

Wudgeous
Regular
Tumblr: herotome
itch: wudgeous

#3 Post by Wudgeous »

I tried making some very minor changes - pulled out his cheekbone slightly, adjusted his chin and jawline, and widened his neck. I'm not sure of the visual style for the rest of the game, so I just went with the conventional Fire Emblem kind of look. It took fifteen minutes tops.

Sometimes we notice things only when the final color is applied - your friend probably just "saw" parts of the image she didn't notice before.
Have confidence. Let go of perfectionism. I love you!
A superhero dating sim in fresh hot development!

You can also keep up with me on Twitter and Itch!

CeruliDaruli

#4 Post by CeruliDaruli »

I see what both of you are saying and I greatly appreciate the edit Wudgeous :D. I was a bit annoyed when I wrote the post (still kinda am, need to work on that), so I may not have been clear enough or perhaps a bit stubborn about it. My friend thought that his brow protruded outwards too much and that the plane between his chin and his cheek bone (the gap in the skeleton where it's pure skin/muscle) came inwards too much. I still don't see that, but admittedly the chin was most definatly a problem and upset the whole face as it was.

EDIT:
Also looking back I completely ignored rule of 3rds, his eyebrows are too high! The forhead isn't a full 1/3 of his face but nose to chin is >1/3 which probably made it worse. :?
Attachments
The reference I SHOULDVE used
The reference I SHOULDVE used

cedes
Regular
itch: cedes

#5 Post by cedes »

I personally really like the artwork you have, his face just reads to me as thinner, so if that's what you were going for that's what you pulled off. Maybe it doesn't fit the idea of what his traits are, or she likes a different proportion of face, or something else you didn't take into account?

CeruliDaruli

#6 Post by CeruliDaruli »

cedes wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:58 am I personally really like the artwork you have, his face just reads to me as thinner, so if that's what you were going for that's what you pulled off. Maybe it doesn't fit the idea of what his traits are, or she likes a different proportion of face, or something else you didn't take into account?
Hey Cedes! We both agree on that, we like the artstyle and his face is supposed to read thinner. We talked about it the other day and we agreed that his face proportions were just off whcih gave her a sense that it was wrong. She admits that her understanding of anatomy wasn't as good as mine so she may not have articulated what she felt was wrong as well as she could. We've settled on it, and I will put it on the back burner (as puppetbomb said). But thank you! I love your profile pic, she's very cute!

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

#7 Post by puppetbomb »

CeruliDaruli wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:53 am Hey Cedes! We both agree on that, we like the artstyle and his face is supposed to read thinner. We talked about it the other day and we agreed that his face proportions were just off whcih gave her a sense that it was wrong. She admits that her understanding of anatomy wasn't as good as mine so she may not have articulated what she felt was wrong as well as she could. We've settled on it, and I will put it on the back burner (as puppetbomb said). But thank you! I love your profile pic, she's very cute!
It's great to hear you talked it out successfully! I've been a part of projects that have fallen apart because of bad communication and lack of prioritization, so it's incredibly heartening that you guys were able to work through it ^^

Somewhat in the same vein, I recommend using a project management tool like Trello or a Google Spreadsheet if you don't have one yet. That way you can keep track of what you're working on (especially if one of you takes a long break) as well as lesser bugs or changes you want to revisit later.

CeruliDaruli

#8 Post by CeruliDaruli »

puppetbomb wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:37 pm Somewhat in the same vein, I recommend using a project management tool like Trello or a Google Spreadsheet if you don't have one yet. That way you can keep track of what you're working on (especially if one of you takes a long break) as well as lesser bugs or changes you want to revisit later.
Sorry to hear about that, my friend had something similar happen to her as well. And thank you! I'll definetly check it out, we only really get to work on this during the summer time, but with the virus we've been able to get alot more done. But I still feel like it'll be a while before we finish it.