UI feedback for my Trading Card Game (TCG) about Cryptids, need help!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
MetaZooGames

UI feedback for my Trading Card Game (TCG) about Cryptids, need help!

#1 Post by MetaZooGames »

I'm creating a creature/spell based game and I'll be upfront and say that it takes a lot of elements from Pokemon/Yugioh/Magic. I think this isn't necessary a bad thing, and as long as I recognize that it is a necessity for my game to function in the way that I want, then I can get over people making comparisons.

Here is a link to the UI as I currently have it: https://imgur.com/a/xhWdJQA

You can see more images here: www.metazoogames.com

My issue is the following: just because it shares similarities with The Big Three doesn't mean the UI has to look like a Pokemon ripoff. I also recognize that I can actually use UI elements from the big three without necessarily ruining my game's "image". If every card game had to be completely unique in every way, the card game world in trouble. And I know, the card art is HUGE and so a lot of the card information is super compact and therefore small and hard to read. This is an easy change to make I think.

I actually think maintaining the main features and feel from pokemon and MTG is beneficial as it helps new players learn more quickly.

That being said, there are some major differences that I think can help move the UI away from an obvious Pokemon knockoff. I'm calling each deck a spellbook, and in fact the back of each cards is the cover of a spellbook. I think the front of the cards then can therefore be like pages in that spellbook. I already have some elements of that with the red bookmark you see.

Anyways, I need help. I'm looking for advice and feedback but ultimately someone I can pay in order to help me sort this UI issue out. Looking forward to some awesome discussion! :D :P

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: UI feedback for my Trading Card Game (TCG) about Cryptids, need help!

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Have you seen how "Clash Royale" (an Android CCG - partially) has their cards set up?
The card is reactive, you can swipe left or right to change what info it gives you about the card.

For example.
https://imgur.com/a/4uGqkuc
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

MetaZooGames

#3 Post by MetaZooGames »

These won't be digital assets though, this is a physical card game.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

MetaZooGames wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:29 am These won't be digital assets though, this is a physical card game.
This forum is for visual novels and story-based games (usually video games), so I'm not sure this is the right forum for your game.

Also, since you mentioned that you were eventually looking for someone to pay regarding this, it would probably be better off in the "We Are Offering Paid Work" section.