Question on CG artists pay rates

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
PyBandit

Question on CG artists pay rates

#1 Post by PyBandit »

I've been in communication with a few different artists for CG scenes and the one I'm leaning the most towards has suggested instead of paying per CG or a lump sum for all the work that it would be easier to do a monthly salary. It's a small indie visual novel so I was wondering if this is a common agreement? It'd actually be cheaper for me to pay per piece than the salary, especially since I wouldn't be able to pay them for more than three months.

Also, is it common for a CG artist to include a basic sketch of the background and charge for the background even though the BG artist will need to go in and complete the BG?

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

Re: Question on CG artists pay rates

#2 Post by morinoir »

Different artists charge differently, so if you're more able and comfortable to pay per cg, I say look for artists that are willing to be paid by that method. I think monthly salary is used more by a developed studio? and paying per cg is actually a more common practice around freelance artists (at least from what I've seen around here).
Also, is it common for a CG artist to include a basic sketch of the background and charge for the background even though the BG artist will need to go in and complete the BG?

This I'm not so sure about, especially the charging part since the bg will be completed by the bg artist anyway? If you can, you should ask just the roughest concept/scribble of what kind of background there will be on the cg (or ask the artist to find reference for it), so the bg artist will have something to hold on to later when drawing background for the cg. I personally think the concept of the bg should be already included in the price and there's no need for the cg artist to charge extra for it, but again, different artists charge differently. If you're not sure, you should talk about this with your artist.