Does this sprite look okay?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
hyouta

Does this sprite look okay?

#1 Post by hyouta »

Hi! I'm working on my first visual novel, and this is the first sprite I made. Since I don't have a lot of experience, I am looking for some feedback, especially regarding anatomy, lineart and coloring. This is an original character and, although I didn't try to make anything particularly unique, I attempted to make my own uniform design. Feel free to critique that as well.
Mimiko1.jpg
What do you think, everyone?

Thank you!

MisterHarold
Regular

Re: Does this sprite look okay?

#2 Post by MisterHarold »

It's a good looking sprite and a cute character. For your first sprite, it looks like it really belongs to a VN. When I made my first sprite, it was a mess. This sprite's lineart look totally fine. For the colors, maybe it could use a little more lighting?(on the hair,clothes) And we don't really need to closely or perfectly mimic the human anatomy if we're making a cartoon-ish or anime style character, unless you aim for that style. Anyway, it looks great.

hyouta

#3 Post by hyouta »

MisterHarold wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:40 pm It's a good looking sprite and a cute character. For your first sprite, it looks like it really belongs to a VN. When I made my first sprite, it was a mess. This sprite's lineart look totally fine. For the colors, maybe it could use a little more lighting?(on the hair,clothes) And we don't really need to closely or perfectly mimic the human anatomy if we're making a cartoon-ish or anime style character, unless you aim for that style. Anyway, it looks great.
Thanks for the advice!

lovebby
Regular
Deviantart: lovebby

#4 Post by lovebby »

It's really cute! One thing tho is that is ne of the worlds smallest bandaids, it feels like it would be more of a sticker, whic is cute too haha. The legs are also extremely long, I'm curious how much of the sprite is going to be shown in the vn? and what other expressions this character'll be having.

afrikanwizard
Completed: Edge of Darkness - Volume 1: The Old Man

#5 Post by afrikanwizard »

Quality-wise it looks quite fine, especially for a first sprite.

In terms of aesthetics I would agree with the comments pointing our the extremely long legs. I'd personally go for a slightly more 'anatomically realistic' approach in that regard, but that is just personal preference.

You might also consider clashing the color tones of the socks and hair, the dark tones on the top and bottom contrast with the lighter center and make Mimiko look a bit......somber. Unless, that was what you were going for.

The uniform design is minimalist, which I think is a good thing. It goes against the over-elaborate school uniform trend we see so often.

hyouta

#6 Post by hyouta »

lovebby wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:29 am It's really cute! One thing tho is that is ne of the worlds smallest bandaids, it feels like it would be more of a sticker, whic is cute too haha. The legs are also extremely long, I'm curious how much of the sprite is going to be shown in the vn? and what other expressions this character'll be having.
I plan on showing her mostly from the waist up, though I feel it would be appropriate to have a more complete view of her sprite in certain scenes. I'm also thinking of adding a character section into the menu of the VN where it'll be possible to see hers and other characters' full sprites, but I'm not entirely sure about that yet. Also, thanks for commenting on the legs and the bandaid. I do like the long legs x small torso aesthetic, so I tried implementing it into her design, but I'm not a pro so it might look weird. I'll be working on that, along with the bandaid.
afrikanwizard wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:36 am Quality-wise it looks quite fine, especially for a first sprite.

In terms of aesthetics I would agree with the comments pointing our the extremely long legs. I'd personally go for a slightly more 'anatomically realistic' approach in that regard, but that is just personal preference.

You might also consider clashing the color tones of the socks and hair, the dark tones on the top and bottom contrast with the lighter center and make Mimiko look a bit......somber. Unless, that was what you were going for.

The uniform design is minimalist, which I think is a good thing. It goes against the over-elaborate school uniform trend we see so often.
I wasn't really going for a somber look, although it could work since it's a mystery/horror game. In any case, I'd rather make the colors more harmonious. Are there any colors you'd suggest in particular? Do you think adding a purple or bluish tone to her hair and socks could fix it?
Thanks for commenting on the uniform too.

afrikanwizard
Completed: Edge of Darkness - Volume 1: The Old Man

#7 Post by afrikanwizard »

hyouta wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:31 pmI wasn't really going for a somber look, although it could work since it's a mystery/horror game. In any case, I'd rather make the colors more harmonious. Are there any colors you'd suggest in particular? Do you think adding a purple or bluish tone to her hair and socks could fix it?
Thanks for commenting on the uniform too.
I think a purplish tone would better than a blue one. But that's just personal preference. I like purple :) And it's a color that, properly used, fits very well with horror themes.

IMHO a dark blue tone would be too similar to black, while a light blue..... makes me think of socks and panties in those cute stripped patterns that seem to be so popular in Japanese VNs.

CatPalismia
Regular
Discord: temteno#2499

#8 Post by CatPalismia »

For your first sprite it looks really good and I love the lighting/shading of the hair and socks. The character's expression is very cute and the lineart is so smooth and clean!

As mentioned before, the long legs and torso combination looks a little odd. However, I think the ratio works well, but the mature legs clash with the big head and child-like proportions of the face. Maybe checking out other visual novels' sprites like Danganronpa's would help out for you to figure that out. I at least like legs longer than they realistically should be so I definitely encourage to go for that if you want it!