The same CG but with matching MC appearance

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
meowworkstm
Regular
Projects: The Riddlemaster, A Cottage Story
Tumblr: ladymeowsith
Deviantart: Meowworkstm

The same CG but with matching MC appearance

#1 Post by meowworkstm »

Okay this a really specific question but for people who've drawn alternate versions of the same CG, how did you go about separating layers and coloring it? In my game I want the CG's to match the appearance of the MC (male/female versions). I was thinking of drawing the background and LI first before drawing the MC on a separate layer and then painting over it but I wanted to know if there were some methods you felt worked better than others?

Mellanthe
Regular

Re: The same CG but with matching MC appearance

#2 Post by Mellanthe »

I would say pretty much what you’ve described there is fairly accurate. It’s pretty close to the process of drawing sprite art.

I would draw the Bg as one whole layer, the character and things that don’t change as another layer (generally a bald and undressed version of the character), then the various components on individual layers of their own. For example expressions, different shirts, arm positions etc. That way you can toggle what you need and stay clean.

Keep in mind that if there are special lighting effects or particles in the cg to have that on a separate layer to throw on top because clipping happens a lot in these types of cgs.