Art background question

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Chronocide
Regular
Projects: Land of the 11 Towers

Art background question

#1 Post by Chronocide »

I'm really primitive with my art at this stage. There's like a checkboard "transparent" thing that some images have in their background, so the computer doesn't display their background. How do you put that into art?

Like I'm using MS paint....Do I just need another program?

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Art background question

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

Chronocide wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:01 am I'm really primitive with my art at this stage. There's like a checkboard "transparent" thing that some images have in their background, so the computer doesn't display their background. How do you put that into art?

Like I'm using MS paint....Do I just need another program?

You need to save your images in a format that supports a transparent channel. GIF used to be the go-to format and could still be used. PNG is an even better option. I would recommend that.

I don't know what you can do with MS paint these days. Probably more than when I last used it. :) Even if you might save images with transparency in MS paint (and I don't know if you can) you should probably look into alternatives.

The programs I use is FireAlpaca for basic drawing and coloring and GIMP for more advanced effects. Both freewares. FireAlpaca is fairly easy to learn. GIMP has more of a learning curve.

I hear a lot of nice things about Krita. Different people will have their favorite programs.

Chronocide
Regular
Projects: Land of the 11 Towers

Re: Art background question

#3 Post by Chronocide »

Per K Grok wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:16 pm You need to save your images in a format that supports a transparent channel. GIF used to be the go-to format and could still be used. PNG is an even better option. I would recommend that.

I don't know what you can do with MS paint these days. Probably more than when I last used it. :) Even if you might save images with transparency in MS paint (and I don't know if you can) you should probably look into alternatives.

The programs I use is FireAlpaca for basic drawing and coloring and GIMP for more advanced effects. Both freewares. FireAlpaca is fairly easy to learn. GIMP has more of a learning curve.

I hear a lot of nice things about Krita. Different people will have their favorite programs.
Thank you. I will look into those other programs. I'm only now starting to see an interest in doing PC art...I'm such a late bloomer.