Please critique my backgrounds!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
SpagootBoi
Regular
Completed: Infatuation (Visual Novel Adaptation), Kimbark Street
Projects: Canyonlands: American Folklore, True Two Heart (Restoration Project)
Tumblr: plant324
itch: plantmama

Please critique my backgrounds!

#1 Post by SpagootBoi »

With the creation of my new game, (because it will cost money to buy a copy) instead of using pre-made assets, I made my own backgrounds this time to avoid any infringement. The majority of these used references. I just wanted some critiques on what I can do better and what I can fix now on the backgrounds. Any notes about colors and shading would especially help but any critique is welcome.

image hosting

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

Re: Please critique my backgrounds!

#2 Post by puppetbomb »

What's the resolution of the game, and where will the textbox be located? The bedroom background may be a bit too low and get covered up. You can zoom in and scoot it up to fill the empty space at the top for a quick fix.

I'm not exactly qualified to talk in depth about color, so I'll leave these articles from James Gurney to help you out. If you can, you should buy his book "Color and Light". It's helped me understand how to pick colors for different lighting situations, and it's much easier to find information without needing to comb through his blog.

Window Light
Moonlight
Overcast Light

Other advice:
  • Find photos of rooms with the lighting and layout is similar to what you have to reference
  • Make a separate layer for shadows if you have different version bgs with different types/direction of lights
  • Shadows will either look more bluish or desaturated
  • Make a perspective grid and check that your lines and textures are consistent with vanishing points

SpagootBoi
Regular
Completed: Infatuation (Visual Novel Adaptation), Kimbark Street
Projects: Canyonlands: American Folklore, True Two Heart (Restoration Project)
Tumblr: plant324
itch: plantmama

#3 Post by SpagootBoi »

Thank you so much! I’ll be sure to check out his book if I can. The advice you offered was really good!

YimYam

#4 Post by YimYam »

art itself is nice, really gives me 2015 indie VN vibe.

but i can see some perspective problem. if you're using clipstudio, there's a great tutorials which can help other program users as well.
lighting doesn't seem like a problem, if you want to improve your lighting and such, try tracing a LOT of real photos,
the color changes under different lights and nearby lightsource were more important in my case, so practice using exotic lights such as lava lamp, dance club light, etc.

a lot of RPGMV games have open img folders, so browsing through CG files can help you immensly.
tracing is a good way to practice, but i like you're style so don't get to overwhelmed and maintain your style.

good luck!