How do you make sprites? Like what goes on what layer?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
ruid
itch: ruid

How do you make sprites? Like what goes on what layer?

#1 Post by ruid »

I know some people make different fully rendered sprites for happy/sad/neutral and some people make an empty base and have separate layers for eyes/mouth/ears.

My question is, which one is better? What are the pros and cons of using these different sprites? I'm trying to make a sprite but don't know where to start.

Holland
Regular
Projects: Lycoris: Their Journies [WIP], With or Without You [NaNo19]

Re: How do you make sprites? Like what goes on what layer?

#2 Post by Holland »

Pros of using layered sprites:

You can mix & match to make many different expressions without redrawing them all. It greatly reduces the size of your game if you mix the expressions programmically, especially if it's a high-res game with several expressions and costumes per character or subtle animations (blinking, moving eyes, etc). Sprites like this can also be used with Live2D if they're set up right.

Cons of using layered sprites:

Depending on the complexity / scope, they can be very convoluted to make and use. They are exponentially more work if you want to have different costumes and expressions on several different poses. It's difficult to apply this method to traditional art.

Pros of single layer sprites:

They are very simple to make and use -- just draw. You can utilize the full body language of the character when designing your expressions (ex: having them puff out their chest and turn away in their "indignant" expression, or tilt their head back and swing a hip when "haughty.").

Cons of single layer sprites:

They require a new illustration for every expression, which puts a lot more actual drawing work on the artist. They bloat the size of your game unnecessarily, especially if there are only subtle differences between some sprites for functional reasons (like blinking vs not).

I don't think one approach is better than the other. It depends on what you're more comfortable with & what suits your game.