Resources for generating (placeholder) sprite art?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
ildev
itch: ildev

Resources for generating (placeholder) sprite art?

#1 Post by ildev »

I'll start out by saying I view myself as a writer first and foremost, although I do have some artistic background. I don't feel confident enough to do sprite work for my WIP. I'd eventually like to commission someone, but for now I'm just trying to get the script down first and foremost.

This early alpha version I'm working on just has some static (one expression) sprites made using some Picrew makers. Which got me wondering—are there any resources out there where one can generate some sprites for their games? Or royalty-free resources packs that one could edit? I'm fairly new to this and am curious what is out there.

For those non-artists in the crowd, what temporary solutions have you come up with before investing in the big next step (i.e.: hiring an artist)? Thank you.

111zzz

Re: Resources for generating (placeholder) sprite art?

#2 Post by 111zzz »

There are some online character makers that you may be able to use.
If you need an artist, I might be able to help.

thatguy21

Re: Resources for generating (placeholder) sprite art?

#3 Post by thatguy21 »

I struggled with this myself for the last week. I found a youtuber video that helped. https://youtu.be/UMgiA5jpiPo Use daz3d or daz studio. awesome renders. I personally use golden ratio portrait in the render settings and set it to 450 x whatever the other auto tunes to. make sure to us png file save. I'm still new to this myself and struggled with it for a while. It makes just about perfect sized character images. If that is the route that you chose to go. Otherwise some of the stuff you have to buy can get expensive. But the daz forums can help with creating your own unique stuff in the studio. don't waste money on hair when you can do it yourself quite easily. finally if you want to just do a bunch of still images and animations you can do that there too.