Lemma Soft Forums

Supporting creators of visual novels and story-based games since 2003.

Visit our new games list, blog aggregator, IRC channel, and Discord (new).
Activation problem? Email pytom@bishoujo.us.
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:11 am 

IRC Nick: ido
Twitter: @idowtf
Deviantart: dardamavet
Github: idoadler
I'm not well informed in the Visual Novels area.
I played and loved Paper Dino's: Save The Date.

I would like to follow this example and make a game that happens with just one character, but also, just in one location.
Do you know of games that done that?

Thanks!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:20 pm 
Regular

I've played a game that's sort of like that, in terms of having just one scene, but there are 2 characters involved (The Dark). Unfortunately, I don't have any examples of single-character games at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:06 pm 

IRC Nick: ido
Twitter: @idowtf
Deviantart: dardamavet
Github: idoadler
Thank you for the link.
Cute piece of art :)

It actually makes a good example, my idea also has two characters, I didn't count the player :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:42 pm 
Regular

ido wrote:
Thank you for the link.
Cute piece of art :)

It actually makes a good example, my idea also has two characters, I didn't count the player :lol:

Of course!

If there's anything in particular you'd like to learn about visual novel craft, you are welcome to ask. While I may lack experience personally, I am certain someone else may have the answers to anything I can't help you with. But in any case, I wish you luck with your game. It doesn't have to be big or flashy to be enjoyable. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:22 am 

Twitter: @bruisedchan
Tumblr: waitingformycoffin
I made a game a while ago that primarily takes place in one location, and with one character. It's not strictly what you're looking for though, haha. I think it would be fun to host a VN game jam with this kind of restriction - only one background and only one character! It'd be interesting to see what people come up with. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:05 am 
Lemma-Class Veteran

Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 2-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Twitter: @vnwriter
Deviantart: sundownkid
Depends what you mean by 'one character'. Do you mean only one person talks, or can there be other characters as long as they only talk through a radio, etc.

For example, in Digital: A Love Story you are the only person physically there. Everyone else you interact with is over the internet and you never see their faces, only their usernames and text.

In The Stanley Parable you are also the only person "present", besides the narrator who is talking to you as the "voice of God" omniscient perspective.

I'm pretty sure something like Gone Home or maybe Dear Esther is like that as well. It is more common in games where there is other gameplay to keep the player occupied in the absence of other characters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 pm 
Eileen-Class Veteran

Completed: The Dark
Projects: bookSLEEPer, Stalker & Yandere
Tumblr: evns
itch.io: Zelan
Banana wrote:
I made a game a while ago that primarily takes place in one location, and with one character. It's not strictly what you're looking for though, haha. I think it would be fun to host a VN game jam with this kind of restriction - only one background and only one character! It'd be interesting to see what people come up with. :)

//off-topic but this game is really flippin good guys, you should all play it. I cried so much for both endings.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:08 am 
Regular

Projects: SW-SEG
Tumblr: makefox
Deviantart: makefox
ido wrote:
I would like to follow this example and make a game that happens with just one character, but also, just in one location.
Do you know of games that done that?

I think it's more about what works with the story that you want to tell. The scenes and characters required are going to be informed by how you want to make it work. They'd likely be atypical for VNs where there are expectations on what the game includes but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work mechanically.

Having a strong focus on what you want to do with the story will make a big difference. Most of the examples here very narrative heavy games for that reason. Though with a VN you could do a lot with conversations in a single setting, ie two strangers talking on a train journey etc.

My art blog: http://makefox.tumblr.com/