Proper Use of Text Tags?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

Proper Use of Text Tags?

#1 Post by sciencewarrior »

There are very specific rules for when to use a semicolon or a dash, but how about {w} and {p}? Should I use something like {w=.5} after every sentence, or only after an ellipsis? What are the rules you follow?
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Proper Use of Text Tags?

#2 Post by Camille »

I don't use either of them because they require me/other players to click too much. ^^; I've had people really annoyed over them because they can't easily be clicked through. I would maybe only use them in a very dramatic situation where you absolutely need the pause, otherwise let people read at their own pace.

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#3 Post by Joey »

I think I'm one of the (very, very, possibly the only person who does this) few people who use a {w=0.3} after every sentence/ellipsis and a {w=0.1} after every comma, semicolon or double-hyphen (no idea what to call that, basically -- this --). I don't like to make it a {w} because it forces people to click a lot, but I like the auto-pausing {w=xx} gives in that it kind of emulates real speech, and most of my VNs are written in first-person. But I noticed some people don't like that because they read really fast, so I suggest you leave that out, unless you're stubborn like me ;w; Or put a ctc-indicator so they know when they should click, which I'm planning on doing. Or you can shorten the pauses to {w=0.05} and {w=0.1} but I'm not sure people will even notice...

What's {p} though? O.o
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

Gambit74
Regular

#4 Post by Gambit74 »

According to the help doc:
The paragraph pause tag is a self-closing tag that terminates the current paragraph, and waits for the user to click to continue. If it is given an argument, the argument is interpreted as a number, and the wait automatically ends after that many seconds have passed.
Anyway, as Joey pointed out, I always thought the wait tags were appropriate at punctuations where a person would normally pause at for a quick second if they were actually speaking. Such as comas, ellipsis, and periods etc.
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...