Organizing Your Script and General Workflow

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

Re: Organizing Your Script and General Workflow

#16 Post by Anarchy »

I'm tracking a lot of if clauses and variables with my menu choices, with lots of complicated branching and recombining. I tried Twine, but it ended up looking like this, which is a total pain to work with. I can't show conditional choices or track variables changing throughout paths. People have mentioned lots of diagramming programs here, but can somebody recommend the program most suited to somebody in my situation?

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#17 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Anarchy wrote:I'm tracking a lot of if clauses and variables with my menu choices, with lots of complicated branching and recombining. I tried Twine, but it ended up looking like this, which is a total pain to work with. I can't show conditional choices or track variables changing throughout paths. People have mentioned lots of diagramming programs here, but can somebody recommend the program most suited to somebody in my situation?
You might want to consider using Chat Mapper (http://www.chat-mapper.com/). It visually tracks variables and you can test drive your game/choices as you go. It's a bit...complicated for me, but it might be what you're looking for.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#18 Post by Greeny »

I find good old pen and paper works surprisingly well to keep track of branching.

I also try to minimize choices, cutting away thosse choices that wouldn't lead the story in any interesting direction or provide any character development.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#19 Post by Anarchy »

OokamiKasumi wrote:
Anarchy wrote:I'm tracking a lot of if clauses and variables with my menu choices, with lots of complicated branching and recombining. I tried Twine, but it ended up looking like this, which is a total pain to work with. I can't show conditional choices or track variables changing throughout paths. People have mentioned lots of diagramming programs here, but can somebody recommend the program most suited to somebody in my situation?
You might want to consider using Chat Mapper (http://www.chat-mapper.com/). It visually tracks variables and you can test drive your game/choices as you go. It's a bit...complicated for me, but it might be what you're looking for.
OMGGGGGGGGGGGG *screams* OOKAMI I LOVE YOU SO MUCH THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED OMGGGGG IT LETS ME TRACK VARIABLES AND ITEMS AND EVERYTHING SLKFJALSKDJFASKLDJF YUSSSHSHHHHHH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUUUUUUUU SO MUCH WAAHHHHHHHHH *tackleglompsnuggles*

@Greeny: Sadly, pen and paper isn't a viable choice for me. I'm collaborating with somebody who lives four hours away from me, so having something that I can share electronically is really important. Also, my handwriting is horrible LOL.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#20 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Anarchy wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:Chat Mapper (http://www.chat-mapper.com/).
OMGGGGGGGGGGGG *screams* OOKAMI I LOVE YOU SO MUCH THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED OMGGGGG IT LETS ME TRACK VARIABLES AND ITEMS AND EVERYTHING SLKFJALSKDJFASKLDJF YUSSSHSHHHHHH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUUUUUUUU SO MUCH WAAHHHHHHHHH *tackleglompsnuggles*
Actually, AnthonyHJ originally posted the link to ChatMapper. :)
-- I'm thrilled it's working for you!
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

Veniae
Veteran

#21 Post by Veniae »

Ookami, thank you so. freaking. much! Yesterday I was on the verge of panicking when I thought my game was getting out of hand, but thanks to your advice, I downloaded Freeplane. I'm loving it so far!

I'm still learning the ropes (for example, I have no idea how you do the little green arrows that jump from one node to another :D) butit's really handy. I think it might have saved my sanity. Thanks again for the recommendation! <3

Mad Bat
Regular

#22 Post by Mad Bat »

The hands-down absolute best program I have discovered for the creation of interactive games period is articy:draft. It was DESIGNED for mapping branching plots.

Not only is this program visually appealing, it's also very feature-heavy (and easy to use!):

[1] Current features
[2] Upcoming features
[3] Demonstration videos/tutorials

Articy:draft does basically everything you would need to design a visual novel in one program, including collaboration!
Its only downside is that it's rather expensive, especially for developers who don't create games for a living (and thus don't have much of a budget). Apparently indie teams can contact the creators directly and receive a discount, and it's currently on Steam Greenlight (where it'd be sold for much cheaper if it receives enough up votes). Regardless, there's a free 30 day trial available. You WILL fall in love with it like I did!

I know I sound like an advertisement, but it kills me a little inside that my trial is almost up and I can't afford to purchase it. That's how dependent on it I've become after only one month of mostly testing it out! It is now on the top of my list of programs to purchase for my group as soon as I have some kind of budget.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Veniae wrote:Ookami, thank you so. freaking. much! Yesterday I was on the verge of panicking when I thought my game was getting out of hand, but thanks to your advice, I downloaded Freeplane. I'm loving it so far!
I'm thrilled it's working for you!
Veniae wrote:I'm still learning the ropes (for example, I have no idea how you do the little green arrows that jump from one node to another :D) ...
How to do the arrows:
  • Click on the place you want to jump FROM.
  • While that place is Selected, hold down the SHIFT key and click on the place you want to jump TO, selecting them both.
  • While both are selected, RIGHT-CLICK on the place you want to jump TO.
  • A box will pop up. Select: LINK, then Select: ADD LOCAL HYPERLINK. (That's the green arrow.)
Veniae wrote:...it's really handy. I think it might have saved my sanity. Thanks again for the recommendation! <3
It saved my sanity! LOL!
Mad Bat wrote:The hands-down absolute best program I have discovered for the creation of interactive games period is articy:draft...
At 349.00 Euros for a Single-User application, it had better be good.
-- Sadly, I don't have that kind of cash to spend on a hobby.

Mad Bat
Regular

#24 Post by Mad Bat »

OokamiKasumi wrote: At 349.00 Euros for a Single-User application, it had better be good.
-- Sadly, I don't have that kind of cash to spend on a hobby.
I'd say the trial is still worth checking out. In my opinion, for groups dabbling in commercial endeavors this software is invaluable. For hobbyists, it's a bit pricey but still worth it if ever you have the extra funds. Like Photoshop.

destiny_921
Regular
Completed: Closure [KN]
Projects: The Universal Hope (writer, WIP)

#25 Post by destiny_921 »

I use..no programme, unless you count good ol' Microsoft Word Document/Notepad and my brain...

Generally, what I do is this.

1) Write out possible choices according to plot scenes/events/dialogues
2) Write out the scenarios and keep them to a maximum of three (the best ones, and according to the choices+endings)
3) While doing so, ensure that the above's pace is good and not too slow or too fast - and that they flow smoothly (Basically: Be realistic!)

All the ideas and scenarios usually come from my mind spontaneously (don't ask me how, I don't know how either xD) I fail at following outlines. Even if I do (read: try really really hard), I'd put...unexpected twists in them anyway *whistles innocently*

Or, if I already have the ending(s) in mind, then I'll make a general outline (again, in my head/mind or the occasional word doc/notepad) to flow to the particular ending(s).

So yeah. Most of the work is done in my mind. I just write them out :3
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope

::Misc::
Writing Guide

Bryy
Veteran
Completed: 30+ games so far
Projects: Furry Shakespeare
Organization: Stegalosaurus Game Development

#26 Post by Bryy »

Thanks for linking to both FreePlane and Chat Mapper, guys.

I was just about to suggest to the OP that he find something like those!