Critique on my Idea or something like it

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Friendbot2000
Regular
Projects: Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing

Critique on my Idea or something like it

#1 Post by Friendbot2000 »

My dev team and I have started our BIG project, the game we are going to release commercially. This is no longer going to be a hobby for us and we want this game to be a big indie hitter on Steam. I am project leader, Lead Story Writer, and Lead Programmer and I have a question for you all regarding my idea for a unique style of game. The game we are creating is an RPG, using Ren'Py and Python, however instead of doing a plot heavy RPG, we want to make it about character interactions and relationships. There is an overarching plot, but it isnt that prominent. Basically, the main character and the NPCs that join him/her along the way have to make it to a safe haven rumored to be across the country after the apocalypse has happened. As they travel they run into all sorts of obstacles and they overcome them using the combat system etc (the RPG part). But the key part of the game is the bonds they build from the hardships they endure during their journey. The game is designed to follow two themes a) if people work together they can overcome incredible obstacles and b) people forge incredible bonds in times of hardship. I have whole bunch of mechanics and even designed my own framework in python (which I might release once I fine tune it so others can use it :) ) However I have to wonder, is making the game about the character's interactions with each other over actual heavy plot the right decision. What do you all think?

P.S. I am sorry I am being pretty vague about the game, but we want to keep the details rather hush hush :)
Visit my game development group's Facebook page : Timekeeper Games
Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing Facebook Page
Follow our Twitter feed too : TK Games

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: Critique on my Idea or something like it

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

The concept sounds a bit like Sakura Wars games, and I liked Sakura Wars. It seems exciting! I'll definitely be looking forward to when you release more details. :mrgreen:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Starcloud
Projects: The Jovian Sunsets

#3 Post by Starcloud »

While it looks like you certainly have a framework for what you want to do, I am left with no idea as to whether you have what it will take to pull it off. I understand wanting to play cards close to your chest on a project like this so instead of berating you with questions about the characters and plot I will just leave you with some advice :)

~ It is easy to let game play get in the way of plot, so if you want to focus on the development of characters you will need to have a set in stone plot. The plot is the journey that will get your characters to grow and build relationships. Since you said you wanted to focus on this then I would make the plot the number one priority. Game-play mechanics and the rpg elements should be used as nothing more then a story-telling mechanic. That being said (I know you didn't want to focus on it too much) you do not have to make the plot some big overbearing quest with a mind-blowing ending. Getting from point A to point B is plot enough. You just have to make sure that you have the elements in there that will act as catalysts for character development. Good luck!
"The dude abides"
Ask me about my work in progress, The Jovian Sunsets. Not really hiring at the moment but I am always willing to share!

asciibard
Regular

#4 Post by asciibard »

That's a really interesting premise and I like the idea of the primary game mechanic being relationship building to overcome obstacles.

My question about this (and I appreciate your wanting to be vague so you don't need to answer me) is whether\how this mechanic is communicated to the player. Assuming you'd do something like "if player chooses nice answer then relationship = relationship+1", do you communicate this raw data to the player in a stats chart or do you obscure it and reveal that relationship status through dialogue? I imagine your challenge will be to fall somewhere inbetween - don't be quite so blunt as "I now like you 14% more than I did 9 seconds ago" but not be so vague that the player isn't aware of how their decisions affect the outcome.

Friendbot2000
Regular

#5 Post by Friendbot2000 »

asciibard wrote:That's a really interesting premise and I like the idea of the primary game mechanic being relationship building to overcome obstacles.

My question about this (and I appreciate your wanting to be vague so you don't need to answer me) is whether\how this mechanic is communicated to the player. Assuming you'd do something like "if player chooses nice answer then relationship = relationship+1", do you communicate this raw data to the player in a stats chart or do you obscure it and reveal that relationship status through dialogue? I imagine your challenge will be to fall somewhere inbetween - don't be quite so blunt as "I now like you 14% more than I did 9 seconds ago" but not be so vague that the player isn't aware of how their decisions affect the outcome.
Well, I am kind of designing the "Trust" mechanism like the "Support" Dialogues in Fire Emblem. Though the support dialogues are exclusive to NPCs talking with other NPCs. The mechanic is designed so the player can be more attached to the NPCs and because NPC characters have grown closer, they get bonuses to battle and a variety of other things. The main character(You have a choice of 4, each with a separate journey path, dialogue, and story) builds their relationships with the NPCs through a separate mechanic that affects another mechanic called "Leadership". Basically at the interludes where you are camping/resting and in the heat of battle you interact with the NPCs and build "trust" that way. This unlocks special orders in battle that you can give to NPCs to have them unleash a devastating attack with another NPC. It also gives you an insight into every NPCs mind and individual backstory. It is really complex, but we have designed it so it will be pretty easy for the player. You don't even want to see all the programming thats going on in the background XD

We modeled our game a lot like Fire Emblem, Oregon Trail, and a Dating Sim (There will be romance options as well and not the generic kind you might expect ;) )

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

#6 Post by sciencewarrior »

This sounds like a game I'd pay for. But four main characters? That's ambitious. Why not launch the game with two and release the others later? What's the art like? Western or anime? How much sex and violence should we expect? You are keeping the setting under wraps, but can you tell if there are SF, horror, or fantasy elements? Please say you aren't making a zombie game. :)
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

asciibard
Regular

#7 Post by asciibard »

This really is an idea with great potential. I've seen inklings of this concept in other games (The Thing and Indigo Prophecy) and it's a good vehicle to add one more element of complexity\urgency to every choice the player makes. I'm sure it makes the game exponentially more difficult to design, though, so kudos to you for taking on the challenge!

In my opinion you should definitely roll with this idea. It could work in just about any context. You could write 10 games in 10 different genres, each using this same mechanic. I hope you'll share a preview or demo further along the line.

Friendbot2000
Regular

#8 Post by Friendbot2000 »

Haha Don't hate me ScienceWarrior, but it is a unique take on the zombie apocalypse genre that involves a lot of actual theoretical science that has NOTHING to do with viruses and stuff. In fact, the monsters aren't even really zombies. Just trust me on this, it is not going to be a cliche zombie game. I NEVER do cliches and I always take genres in new directions with unique spins to them. I promise you that it will be nothing like the zombie drivel that we see in video games today. I will give you a hint on the main "zombie" mechanic.

As I am sure you learned in your biology class, the human genome is very complex. Basically the genes that make us human are a select number of genes that are turned on. The rest of the genes that are turned off consist of every gene from every different type of animal on planet earth. However as I said, most of those are turned off so we don't have six legs and whatnot. What if something were to happen to upset that delicate balance? What if something happened that allowed the genes of a scorpion to intermix with our current genome? Granted this is SCIENCE!, but I will take it in the direction of rapid evolution with a twist ;) Everything will be revealed in the adventure my friend.

It is a very complex game, but we have spent months mapping it out and deliberating over how it will all fit together. (You should see our flowcharts lol) I have had this idea for a game since I was a teen so it has been fleshed out quite a bit in my head. As for the possibility of four main characters being too ambitious I will mention that the reason there are four is because each character is a certain PC class with their own skill trees and perk system. We felt that giving players more choices on their play style would draw more people to the game and increase the replayability value. That paired with an individual story line for each MC would make this a great game to play again once you beat it. So many RPGs fail at replay value and we want to change that by giving the player options at the very start and make it a new experience for each playthrough. There is also the possibility of a sequel/DLC in the mix, but we won't expand on that until we finish this game. Also, if you download it on Steam in the first month of release there are a bunch of extras that come with it so stay tuned :D

Our team comprises of four members, a music producer (that is actually majoring in music production, he is a genius with music), a fantastic artist that has been a personal friend since I was in second grade, and a level designer/assistant gameplay concept designer (I bounce all my concepts off this guy), and finally myself. I am responsible for the writing and programming. I am also the project leader.

The art style is very much like Fire Emblem's except more westernized. It is a healthy blend of both eastern and western art styles. I think you all with be pleased.

There will also be the possibility of a demo once we get everything sorted.

Starcloud
Projects: The Jovian Sunsets

#9 Post by Starcloud »

... That does sound pretty awesome. Working with science like that can be tricky though since it is hard to balance out your rationalizations for everything with entertainment. On one side you end up with shallow plot devices and excuses just for the sake of doing cool stuff - on the other is hard sci-fi. One is vapid and the other can be really hard to read and enjoy. So just make sure you know what you are doing and it will be great :)
"The dude abides"
Ask me about my work in progress, The Jovian Sunsets. Not really hiring at the moment but I am always willing to share!

Friendbot2000
Regular

#10 Post by Friendbot2000 »

Starcloud wrote:... That does sound pretty awesome. Working with science like that can be tricky though since it is hard to balance out your rationalizations for everything with entertainment. On one side you end up with shallow plot devices and excuses just for the sake of doing cool stuff - on the other is hard sci-fi. One is vapid and the other can be really hard to read and enjoy. So just make sure you know what you are doing and it will be great :)
Ah no worries mate, the plot will be well thought out, but it will be more of a backdrop, overarching plot than a in your face type of plot. Not to be cocky or anything, but I am a pretty good writer, not a great writer, but a good one. I have several people outside my dev team to keep me straight with my writing. My biggest suggestion to any writer is too always bounce your writing and ideas off of an outside party. Your perceptions of your writing are nearly ALWAYS distorted and you need to get clarity by asking someone else.

As for the characters in the story, there will be some political and moral issues in the game. It won't be in your face, but it is meant to provide a realistic view of the characters. I like putting current issues in the world in my games as well as issues with religion and people's struggles with faith etc. I myself am an athiest, but I still think faith is something nice to have whether it be in human ingenuity or a deity. I like exploring characters that have a crisis of faith and that try to find their way through their doubts to find that spark that kept them going. I will not beat people over the head with any message. Any the issues I will be exploring will not be tailored towards my world view. They will be about what the characters feel and believe, not myself.

There will be a lot of NPCs that will be traveling with you all, not all of them are fit for battle. I think the total planned is somewhere between 40 and 50 NPCs, each with their own backstories and you will get a chance to interact with all of them. I want to give the setting a sense of "okay, we all need to stick together to survive and getting to Haven's Landing is our best bet of survival, even if it may not exist at all." You also have the option of leaving all of these NPCs behind, I will not force you too take them along. It is your choice, but the choices do have consequences, some are small and others are very big.

By the way I gave you a tiny spoiler there ;)