Question (survey) about Cross-Over Game

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Question (survey) about Cross-Over Game

#1 Post by LVUER »

Cross-over. For those who doesn't know, it's a (game/manga/anime/etc) where characters from different universe (or same universe but different series) meet up and/or fight together/each other.

There are plenty of cross-over already, from a very famous one where people go "Oooooh" in nostalgia when playing it, to unpopular one that most people never heard of, or obscure one that though people know about it, they never heard from which series most of the characters come from.
============= WARNING, WALL OF TEXT, ==============
========== YOU COULD SKIP THIS ONE IF ==============
======== YOU ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH VARIOUS =========
===== CROSS-OVER OR SIMPLY DON'T WANT TO READ IT ====
The most popular and longest running cross-over is SRW (Super Robot Wars/Super Robot Taisen) series from Banpresto. It's so popular that Banpresto released manga/game/anime about (only) the original characters from SRW series. And they sell. For those who doesn't know, SRW is a cross-over turn-based strategy game where we play as mecha/robot units from various anime/manga series, like Gundam, Mazinger, Getter Robo, Evangelion, King Gainer, Dancouga, etc. One of the praised feature from this game is the attention to the detail, like power balance/ratio of the mechas. Godly mecha will be similarly godly in the game (Eva-01 berserk, Ideon universe-shattering berserk, Zeorymer DCS).

For those who can read Japanese, you can enjoy the Japan-only cross-over game like NamcoXCapcom game (SRWOG:Endless Frontier predecessor) with characters like from Rockman series, Dark Stalkers, and King of Fighters series. Or for those moe anime lovers, we have Dengeki Gakuen with characters from Shakugan no Shana and To Aru Majutsu no Index.

The new PS3 also have several, we have Cross Edge and Trinity Universe, featuring Gust and Nippon Ichi characters (and several other companies). Disgaea fans would be overjoyed with this game.

Don't forget Kingdom Hearts, featuring Square's characters and Disney ones.

From indie side, we have Battle Moon Wars from Werk. As the name implies, this game is heavily inspired (and similar) to SRW series and have Type Moon (or rather Kinoko Nasu's) characters like Fate/Stay series, Kage Tohya, Tsukihime, etc.

There are plenty others like Chaos Wars, Super Hero Sakusen, Capcom's cross-over series (Capcom X <something>), Gundam G Generation, etc. Too many to be said, just wiki for yourself ;P

For tokusatsu lovers, you probably already familiar with Kamen Rider Decade. A story about a passing-through Kamen Rider who have ability to pass over 11 worlds, where each world have its own Kamen Rider, and the ability to perfectly copy all those Kamen Rider's powers.

Other than that, we also have Pirate Sentai Gokaiger, Ultraman Moebius, and various yearly ritual where this year heroes meet up with last years heroes.
==============================================
============= END OF WALL OF TEXT ===============
==============================================
Now, here goes the questions: (you can add some explanation after your answer)

Q1: When you pit characters from multiple different universe together, we need some kind of explanation how it's going on...
A. Hey, they all live in the same world after all...
B. There are multiple worlds in multiple different dimension beyond that gate... and guess what? We can freely go beyond and over, using some kind of mumbo-jumbo mojo or twinkling gadget.
C. There is dimensional rift and it randomly sucks people from different dimension... scary.

Q2: How do you like about original characters in cross-over story?
A. No need for them. I play cross-over to play those familiar faces I grew to love.
B. It's ok, as long as they're only there to keep the story going
C. I love them and their story should be central part of the story and their enemies are the main enemies and the main original character have power so awesome that their existence is vital for party survival.

Q3: How many original characters should show up?
A. Plenty. In fact, majority of the cast should be original characters.
B. A few. After all, cross-over doesn't need that many original characters.

Q4: How do you like with the continuity/similarities between cross-over story with the original story counterpart?
A. 100% original, those "canon" characters are indeed taken from "canon" universe, and experienced "canon" story.
B. To be kept as true as possible while altering as needed to keep continuity or integrity with cross-over universe/story.
C. A reboot (complete rewrite of the story), not the same guy/gal you used to know.

Q5: How much portion do you think cross-over original story should have in the cross-over one.
A. Big, the original characters only show up to help the cross-over characters and trip the power balance that stops the stalemate between good and evil (making it possible for the good to finally triumph).
B. None, the cross-over characters show up to help the original characters fighting against original enemies that threatening all universes and dimensions.
C. Small, somehow all cross-over enemies gathered and made an alliance of bad guys. So the good guys do just the same...

Q6: How do you like your cross-over story?
A. Dark toned, with lots of inner power strugle and gray morality
B. Brave and heroic with little consequences even when charging head-first
C. Politics, betrayal and friendship, you don't even know who your friend is.

Q7: How do you like your mojo?
A. Magic is the essence of the universe. May the magic be with you...
B. Sci-fi all the way. I don't believe anything that can't be equated.
C. Half-half. Puuuurfectly in the middle.

Q8: How many characters from each series that should show up? And how many should be playable?
A. All, all, all... mwahahaha!!!
B. All should show up, but only the major protagonist ones are playable.
C. Only two or three per series is already plenty. Give room for the others.

Thank you for answering.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Question (survey) about Cross-Over Game

#2 Post by Samu-kun »

Sooo... Big robotto mash up game with cute female pilots? I'd be behind a game like that!

1. It seems like the dimensional rift is the most commonly used plot device, but I'm pretty sure anything would work.
2.+3. I think just the main protagonist should be original and everyone else should be from pre-existing universes.
4. The characters should be pretty much the same as in their original works. But then, I guess some liberties are needed to get the story rolling. Of course, fan service character modifications would also be appreciated (EG. an Eva. Shinji who's not a wuss)
5. I think the story should be mostly original, with just pre-existing characters added. I'm not interested in seeing a pre-existing story remade. I want to see a new story with characters that I like thrown into new situations.
6. Funny, heroic, parodic. I'd just expect good, traditional entertainment.
7. Science fantasy. Not hard sci-fi, but mechas, and big machines are good. I don't want a detailed scientific explanation, just big machines duking the hell outta each other.
8. Ah, however as many you have the budget to add in.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#3 Post by LVUER »

Ah, Samu-kun. So happy to see that you're the first one to answer... and fast. Just to tell you and the rest who's going to answer, my question is not about mecha cross-over only. It's just coincidently, Super Robot Wars is the most popular cross-over out there. And it's about mecha. And I'm fully aware that giant mechas and moe girls are every man's dream ;P
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran
Projects: Rzeczpospolita Polska 1647

#4 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

Hmm... interesting. As a regular player of SRW and a connoisseur of the weirdest crossover possible, here are my opinions on your questions.

1) Depends on what kind of mood you want to set up. If you are looking for opportunities for hijinks along the lines of "In my universe, this is how things work" "No wai!" then having a multidimensional rift is better. If, however, you are just looking for an excuse to put characters from different universes together with minimal fuss, hand-waving that they all live in the same universe all along can minimize potential problems and allow you to jump right into the action.

2) and 3), and maybe 5) Again, depends. An original character more often than not plays a "piloting" role (pun not intended) that directs your story's general direction and mood. There's a little overlap with Mary Sue/Gary Stu here, but in most SRW game, that's the way they roll. The story would revolve around the original character more or less. Depending on whether you need someone to play that role or not, you can roll with or without an OC.

4) I would hardly call C a crossover any more. So it's between A and B.

5) Personally, I think that the use of OCs to resolve conflicts in a crossover is cheap, contrived and open too many cans of worm to count. Besides, I'm pretty certain if used creatively, canon character interaction itself could have a huge impact on the balance of power.

Say for example, I've just had this crossover idea between Gundam SEED and Lord of the Rings. The conflict in the original GS could turn into a "Coordinators are scums! So are Dunedain/Sindars! But we can't take them all on at the same time!" conflict. Opportunities to tip the balance of power either way? Yes, yes, of course. Do we need original characters for this? Not necessarily.

6) I actually prefer my crossovers to be stylistically a cross between Greek epics and realistic war drama. Everything is logical, there are consequences for everything, but at the end of the day honor, courage and comradeship carries the day.

7) Half and half all the way. Opens so much more opportunities... Like "What would happen if Fus Ro Dah meets a rocket?"
"He used to be a Gundam pilot just like you, but then he took a missile from his own launcher to the knee."
8 ) Moderation, that's my watchword.
One Province Minor - 120 class variables and still counting!

Because there is no such thing as too many variables.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

Q1: When you pit characters from multiple different universe together, we need some kind of explanation how it's going on...
Believably mashing together multiple continuities into 'they all live in the same world' is HARD. It can be entertainingly epic if done well but it requires a LOT of explanation for how their settings interact and how much they know about each other.

If you're making something along the lines of Super Smash Brothers where there's no real plot and things just fight each other, it's better not to explain it at all (or at least not beyond 'The character saw a weird glowing door and went through it and found emself here'), because any explanation will get silly.

On the other hand a classic crossover setup is often 'Godlike aliens / dimensional disaster have thrown you all together, you must FIX THIS PROBLEM' and everyone goes home to their own world at the end.
Try to avoid original characters in a big cross-over because it feels like you're trying to cheesily promote your OC to the same 'level' as well-known characters, and that's grating.

It can be done with the right setup, as long as there's a clear distinction drawn between the original characters and the familiar ones, and they don't become best buds or, god forbid, romances.
This depends on your story and game design? I don't see why you'd bother making a crossover if you were going to fill it with OCs though.
Q4: How do you like with the continuity/similarities between cross-over story with the original story counterpart?
Depends on your story and game design, but if you're doing a massive crossover you probably want to keep people reasonably true to their canon pasts so that all the players understand what's going on.

Basically, if you're writing 'High school kid meets weird twisted version of Sailor Moon' then it's easy to figure out that this isn't the normal Sailor Moon. If you have dozens of different characters in there and Evil Sailor Moon is only one of them and some of your players don't even know who Sailor Moon is, it gets confusing.
Q5: How much portion do you think cross-over original story should have in the cross-over one.
I dunno? It depends?
I dunno? It depends? (It depends a lot on *who* you're crossing over!)
... I fail to see how this question is even relevant in the context of a wacky crossover, which tends to mean that powers BEYOND either science OR magic are involved!
Q8: How many characters from each series that should show up? And how many should be playable?
If this is some kind of fighting game, 2-3 characters from each continuity is probably enough.

icecheetah
Regular

#6 Post by icecheetah »

B. There are multiple worlds in multiple different dimension beyond that gate... and guess what? We can freely go beyond and over, using some kind of mumbo-jumbo mojo or twinkling gadget.
C. There is dimensional rift and it randomly sucks people from different dimension... scary.
I think it depends on the story. If they are similar enough, then "Hey, we all live in the same world," could be the easiest, especially if the setting is everyday, or 'magic' is well hidden. Or if the canons are both modified so they fit together, as in Kingdom Hearts. Both B and C can work for most canons, but I'd want to see some depth to it. Like "I WANNA GO HOME! ;_;!" or "We need to investigate this!"
There's also the option of having a character that travels freely or a god that brought them together for some reason, which could look like C.
A. No need for them. I play cross-over to play those familiar faces I grew to love.
B. It's ok good, as long as they're only there to help keep the story going.
C. I love them and their story should be central part of the story and their enemies are the main enemies and the main original character have power so awesome that their existence is vital for party survival.
Edited B, my edits are in italics. I think that OCs get too much bad flack, when they can actually be helpful. I mean, Sora is an OC in KH, AND he has the spotlight, but it still works. Mickey was supposed to be the main character originally...
... but at the same time, I wouldn't want to see OCs taking over parts that could be filled by other characters a lot. It's a bit of a balancing act. So B is closer to what I want.
A. 100% original, those "canon" characters are indeed taken from "canon" universe, and experienced "canon" story.
B. To be kept as true as possible while altering as needed to keep continuity or integrity with cross-over universe/story.
C. A reboot (complete rewrite of the story), not the same guy/gal you used to know.
A. is too rigid, while C. might as well be original.[/b]
A. Big, the original characters only show up to help the cross-over characters and trip the power balance that stops the stalemate between good and evil (making it possible for the good to finally triumph).
B. None, the cross-over characters show up to help the original characters fighting against original enemies that threatening all universes and dimensions.
C. Small, somehow all cross-over enemies gathered and made an alliance of bad guys. So the good guys do just the same...
Depends on what I feel like on any particular day. I just want a good story first.
XD Whatever works, but the last part seems to apply to me throughout!

J. Datie
Veteran

#7 Post by J. Datie »

Well, I'm part way through SRWZ2-2, so you get to hear me rant about things that game did wrong. Yay.
LVUER wrote:Q1: When you pit characters from multiple different universe together, we need some kind of explanation how it's going on...
I think A is best if you can get it to work, but it requires that all the series be at least mostly similar in setting. Otherwise, doing B or C like was done in Namco x Capcom and Super Robot Wars Z would be good. Basically, works that have similar settings are grouped together, like feudal Japan or post-apocalyptic wasteland, and then those worlds are thrown together through dimensional hijinks.
LVUER wrote:Q2: How do you like about original characters in cross-over story?

Assuming this is something plot heavy, there should be a main character to be a central viewpoint character, and original enemies to tie everything together. This also helps avoid playing favourites. That said, most of the focus should definitely be on the other series. If you have, for example, 31 different series and 83 stages, then you shouldn't spend 22 of those stages focusing on just the original characters. There. There's that rant I promised.
LVUER wrote:Q4: How do you like with the continuity/similarities between cross-over story with the original story counterpart?
B. If they don't interact with other characters, there's no point in having a crossover. Also, if they're completely different in personality, well, there's once again no point in having a crossover.
LVUER wrote:Q5: How much portion do you think cross-over original story should have in the cross-over one.
B sounds like less of a crossover and more like cameos. Either A or C would be better.
LVUER wrote:Q6: How do you like your cross-over story?

Both of these depend on what's being crossed over. Usually crossovers wouldn't work too well with a lot of infighting within the good characters, although not being able to get along is usually the downfall of the villains. SRWZ managed to have a glorious stage where all the characters break into two groups and fight each other, with the group the player controlling being dependent on the main character chosen, but that was due to a misunderstanding that was cleared up at the end of the stage. But yeah, should match what series are in it.
LVUER wrote:Q8: How many characters from each series that should show up? And how many should be playable?
My heart says A, but my brain says B or C. Depends on how many series are in it. I prefer B, personally.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#8 Post by LVUER »

Wow, so many for a niche genre questions. Thanks for the answers (^o^)
-------------------------------
"He used to be a Gundam pilot just like you, but then he took a missile from his own launcher to the knee."
LOL, can't stop laughing reading this one (^_^)
papillon wrote:Believably mashing together multiple continuities into 'they all live in the same world' is HARD. It can be entertainingly epic if done well but it requires a LOT of explanation for how their settings interact and how much they know about each other.
It is... but SRW always manage to make it sounds easy. Bravo, Banpresto! I always love your games.
papillon wrote:On the other hand a classic crossover setup is often 'Godlike aliens / dimensional disaster have thrown you all together, you must FIX THIS PROBLEM' and everyone goes home to their own world at the end.
Exactly. But I want to know if everyone starts to get bored with this kind of setup?
papillon wrote:This depends on your story and game design? I don't see why you'd bother making a crossover if you were going to fill it with OCs though.
Surprisingly? Lots of cross-over did this. Some game only feature 6 characters from cross-over universe, several for the enemy bosses, and the rest 22 characters are originals. Of course I don't like such games.
papillon wrote:... I fail to see how this question is even relevant in the context of a wacky crossover, which tends to mean that powers BEYOND either science OR magic are involved!
I just want to know which kind of flavor people prefer for the settings. Some games have this phenomenon completely man-made or at least a super natural event that humanity managed to control even so slightly.

SRW obviously uses sci-fi (although some magic exists in this game, depending on which series currently being cross-overred). Kingdom Hearts is magic all the way, with a little bit science sprinkled along the way... but still science of magic (so in the end, it's magic, unless it's suddenly become sci-fi in the next series).
icecheetah wrote:I think it depends on the story. If they are similar enough, then "Hey, we all live in the same world," could be the easiest, especially if the setting is everyday, or 'magic' is well hidden. Or if the canons are both modified so they fit together, as in Kingdom Hearts. Both B and C can work for most canons, but I'd want to see some depth to it. Like "I WANNA GO HOME! ;_;!" or "We need to investigate this!"
There's also the option of having a character that travels freely or a god that brought them together for some reason, which could look like C.
Kingdom Hearts doesn't use formula number A. It's more B. Chaos War uses C. SRW and Trinity Universe uses A. Personally, I think "I wanna go home" theme is a little bit cheating because it's pretty simple, though most game doesn't end with just that (most of it ends with the protagonist saves the multi-verse ;P )
icecheetah wrote:Mickey was supposed to be the main character originally...
I knew it... I don't really like Sora, he is so generic... Why Square have tendency to choose wrong protagonist? Like changing the protagonist of FFXII to the brat Vahn?
J. Datie wrote:Well, I'm part way through SRWZ2-2, so you get to hear me rant about things that game did wrong. Yay.
Man, I want to play it too. I haven't because I don't have a PSP.
J. Datie wrote:I think A is best if you can get it to work, but it requires that all the series be at least mostly similar in setting. Otherwise, doing B or C like was done in Namco x Capcom and Super Robot Wars Z would be good. Basically, works that have similar settings are grouped together, like feudal Japan or post-apocalyptic wasteland, and then those worlds are thrown together through dimensional hijinks.
Ooooh, so SRW Z uses formula number C... too bad. Since I really like SRW that uses formula A, like SRW J.
J. Datie wrote:This also helps avoid playing favourites. That said, most of the focus should definitely be on the other series.
Completely slip out of my mind, never play favorites with cross-over characters since fans of other series could be enraged (since their character don't get enough spot-light). A good reminder.

DeviantArt Account

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran
Projects: Rzeczpospolita Polska 1647

#9 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

Oh and another thing: A crossover can hardly ever be anything more than a fan project. SRW and a couple other games were exceptions to the rule, if only because of Japan's wonky copyright rules and the fact that the whole mecha anime industry pretty much runs on super robot fanboyism. So while the idea of a crossover game/roleplay can be entertaining for a while, ultimately I think it is an exercise in futility.

Then again, lately I've been entertaining myself with the idea of a type C crossover between School Days and Mount & Blade Warband, so I'm one to talk. :lol:
One Province Minor - 120 class variables and still counting!

Because there is no such thing as too many variables.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#10 Post by LVUER »

Argeus_the_Paladin wrote:Oh and another thing: A crossover can hardly ever be anything more than a fan project. SRW and a couple other games were exceptions to the rule, if only because of Japan's wonky copyright rules and the fact that the whole mecha anime industry pretty much runs on super robot fanboyism. So while the idea of a crossover game/roleplay can be entertaining for a while, ultimately I think it is an exercise in futility.
Heheheh... you'll see ;P It's still a long time from now though...

DeviantArt Account

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#11 Post by HikkiPanda »

I think A, B, C are all good excuse to mash them together o.o;

This time i don't like all of them o.o; .... I do love original character and I think they're necessary in cross over but they shouldn't overshadow the other characters. I prefer if the original character started as a disciple or sidekick for the crossover characters. In the end, they will become very strong but they will never be as strong as the legendary characters (ex: Amuro, Char, etc). I agree that the last boss should be the original character's nemesis, that way it will be fair for the other crossover character.

2-5 people will be enough i guess

I don't like all of the choices. I think it's better to create a story where everyone have the same amount of portion in the story, that way it's fair for everyone.

it depends on the cast being crossed over .. if it's gundam i expect politics. If it's precure i expect light hearted and funny stories .. etc

it depends on the cast being crossed over .. if it's gundam i expect sci fi. If it's precure i expect magic ...

depends on how much you can manage, ideally we will have all the main cast, but in worst case just make the main protagonist playable