Image-based Writing Request (OPEN)

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

Image-based Writing Request (OPEN)

#1 Post by kaleidofish »

Hey, all.

I've been feeling so-so about my creative writing lately, so I'm opening this request thread as a way to practice. All I ask from you is an image, preferably a CG, but I can make-do with a sprite or sketch. Prompts are optional. Unless inspiration strikes me, these pieces will all be flash fiction - kinda like the ones here, where the writers write based solely on an image.

But, since I'm nice and I know that not everyone has pictures, you can describe physical details of a scene and I'll fill in the rest.

Or, give me a sentence to start off with or even end with. I'll let that count as an image, too. Mmhm.

For a sample of my writing, you can read my latest visual novel and my website orrrrrrr my DeviantArt.

(Above originally written in May, 2012.)

====

Done so far:

1. "Go Boating, She Said; It'll Be Fun, She Said" for ZaisConsultant (Image)

2. "Gasparilla's Loot" for Auro-Cyanide (Image)

3. "Bridge Reconstruction" for Hijiri (Image)

4. "Fine, Fine, Fine" for clua (Image)

5. "The Strongest Belief System of All" for HanaMori (Image)
Last edited by kaleidofish on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column Demo, Memory Mage
Projects: The Silent Column, A Lily from the Lightless Water, A Castle on an Island
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

Re: Image-based Writing Request (OPEN)

#2 Post by SelLi »

I'd love to spark a creative nerve for you. This reminds me of when I was in highschool, we'd be given one word and then write a story around it. It didn't have to have the word as the center of the story, but it had to somehow stem from it or include it.
Can I just google search an image for you? Does it matter if it's not CG? If it's just for your inspiration I don't see why it would :)
So alright, here you go.
have fun ^^

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)

#3 Post by kaleidofish »

Thanks for posting! And yeah, I should have been more clear. Any image or written phrase will do. Hope you like it. :D I also found the sequel picture to your image, over here. XD

----

Go Boating, She Said; It'll Be Fun, She Said

He took her at her word.

When Catie called him the night before to tell him that she went boating, Rob had to laugh. The last time they fished together, she had cried from the horrible way the worms were speared onto hooks. "Cruel and unusual treatment," she had said, and it was those four words he echoed back to her as soon as she shut up long enough for him to say something back.

Catie was a flower. Flowers don't belong in the ocean. Try tossing one in and see what happens. They float along without any direction, ready to sink at the slightest push. He liked to think of himself as something more powerful and grounded, like a tree overlooking the pathetic, hapless flower that had fallen in. It was a wonder that they came from the same family.

He was Rob. Older. Wiser. Never a snot-nosed Bobby. She was always Catie. Younger. Clueless. Neither Catherine nor great. That said everything about their sibling relationship. They were as different as an astronaut and a cow.

But, since Catie was his sister, he had to listen to her chatter on and on about having "found herself" in the wide open seas without all that nonsensical fishing stuff. Just her and a boat, and no one else around to tell her what to do. She Insisted, with a capital I, that he try it.

"There's nothing else like it. You'll love it," she had promised. "It's changed my life. I think I'm gonna be a professor now."

Hearing something like that would have usually piqued his interest, but not from Catie. Something changed her life just about every week. Last weekend, after seeing a dog show on TV, she wanted to be a groomer, except not for all dogs. No. She only wanted to fix luxurious Chow Chow hair.

After agreeing to pay half his rent for that month, Catie convinced him to do it. No backpack. No headphones. Just him, a boat, an oar, a walkie talkie in case of an emergency, and his mile-a-minute thoughts to anchor him.

Staring into the orange, hazy fog ahead of him, he knew it was going to be a long day.

And at the end, he'd hopefully discover whomever this Rob guy really was.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Oooo, this sounds interesting!

Hang on a sec!

*ruffles through extremely old work for original content*

Phew, could you please write something based on this? ^o^ http://auro-cyanide.deviantart.com/gall ... 0#/d23upjo

She is Siana and he is Thomas :) I will be super excited to see what you come up with.
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Fri May 11, 2012 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#5 Post by Hijiri »

Oooh, let's see what you come up for this.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#6 Post by clua »

This sounds like fun, I have this picI did last year I think

I leave it to your imagination
btw "bien bien bien" means "fine fine fine" or "good good good"
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

kaleidofish
Veteran

#7 Post by kaleidofish »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Oooo, this sounds interesting!

Hang on a sec!

*ruffles through extremely old work for original content*

Phew, could you please write something based on this? ^o^ http://auro-cyanide.deviantart.com/gall ... 0#/d23upjo

She is Siana and he is Thomas :) I will be super excited to see what you come up with.
They made me think of those Monkey Island games (speaking of which, I need to get around to playing Escape from Monkey Island...twelve years later). Hope you like it! XD

---------------------------

Gasparilla's Loot

"And, you dragged me down here for what exactly?" Siana peered over Thomas' shoulder.

"Take a look at this, it's absolutely amazing." His eyes lit up brighter than she'd ever seen them before. Whatever he was reading, it had to be something special, maybe even magical.

"You know I hate reading." She said, aloof as ever.

"Do you remember the legend of Gasparilla and how I was looking all over for his book?"

"Yep. Five hundred books from a whole lot of creepy men and lots of our money later..." They had made themselves an entire library looking for José Gaspar's journal. He bought every book that seemed to have a clue in it, no matter how unrelated it was.

"I got this one from Randall's auction. He's not that creepy." Thomas replied.

Siana laughed. "Oh, Randall's not creepy? Randall, the guy you let hit on me just so you could buy a dusty ten dollar book. Definitely not creepy."

"Hey, I couldn't let a good deal go by, especially if it's one that's going to make us rich. Sorry you had to take one for the team." He had that twinkle in his eyes again, that same twinkle that made her fall for him. "We've got another adventure on our hands, Siana."

"Will this one be anything like our last misadventures? Like when those pirates robbed us blind because you thought they were taking us to Francis Drake's treasure. Or, like that time when you jumped into a swamp and almost got eaten by a crocodile, all because someone said the Bishop's gold coins were in it." Siana narrowed her eyes. "And now, you want us to go after Gasparilla's loot, all because some book supposedly written by him tells you to. Is that right?"

"It's written in Spanish. It's definitely by him."

"Since when do you know Spanish?"

"There's a picture map here. See? No Spanish required." When Thomas had an idea - even one as crazy as this one, it was impossible to knock any sense into him. "This is Gasparilla's diary. He probably drew this so he could lead himself back to where he hid his stuff, just in case. Can we go?"

There was no use arguing with him. If she didn't go with him, he was bound to get himself killed somehow. "Alright, we can go. On one condition."

"Yeah! Anything!" If Thomas had a tail, it'd be wagging.

"I'm steering the boat this time."

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#8 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@kaleidofish, XD Hahahaha, that was really good. I really enjoyed the way you portrayed their personalities and their banter was very amusing. You did a really good job with them from such small inspiration. Thank you very much!

kaleidofish
Veteran

#9 Post by kaleidofish »

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it. Phew. I was worried that I didn't do them justice.

The next one may have to wait until the weekend. I feel like I have a lot of work to get done this week. Sorry about the wait!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#10 Post by azureXtwilight »

Try this?

Let's name her "the prosecutor" and him "the cop" XD
Last edited by azureXtwilight on Sun May 27, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaleidofish
Veteran

#11 Post by kaleidofish »

Yeah, sorry, I totally ignored their actual Death Rule characterization and turned them into completely different people. Hope you all enjoy. Image here.

----

Bridge Reconstruction

"What's a little money passed between twins, eh?" Rick's smile was hopeful, if not desperate. "A couple of twenties won't hurt nothing. I'm clean."

"You know I can't give you any more money." John stayed steadfast in his resolve.

"All I need is a little something to get me back on my feet." His green eyes were shaking. The movement was minute, but Rick had seen it. They were doing that side-to-side darting motion, just like they had when they were...

10 years old.

"You love the beach, don't you, Johnny? We can live next to the ocean. If you stay with me, you'll get to play in the sand every day." Option number one: a lifetime of sunny sandcastles with Dad. Option number two: continue on with this miserable life, the one spent with the chores, the nagging mother, and the clueless brother. The brother that clung to Mommy. He didn't know any better. "You want to hide behind your Mom's dress your whole life like him?"

Johnny never hid. That's why he pulled himself out of his mom's arms and retreated into his dad's embrace. He picked his side in their divorce. Rick's eyes wouldn't stop shaking. He understood the choice more than his brother did. John's choice put them at opposite ends of the country.

At first, they kept in touch regularly. Rick complained about how boring his life was. John had to make up stories to match his brother's level of boredom, so that they stayed on equal footing. Keeping up that balance was a struggle for him, but he had to do it. It was his way of trying to maintain a brotherly connection, even though the older they got, the less he knew what a "brotherly connection" was.

Their father remarried when they were 12. John, his dad, and his dad's new wife moved to a bustling city away from the beach. Their mother continued to wither. Rick and his mom stayed in the place John had left behind.

14 years old.

Rick lost a tooth in a fight at school. His father had to wire-transfer his ex-wife the money for the dental work. She didn't make enough money to support her house of two.

John didn't want to hear about their misery. As far as he was concerned, they were entirely irrelevant to his life. He couldn't keep lying to Rick that his life sucked, too. Twins, brothers, whatever - who came up with the rule that they had to run parallel lives? The names Rick and John didn't even match. They were doomed to be separated from the start.

Their mom snapped out of her depression. Rick became her only reason to hang on. No matter what horrible thing he did, she always stood by his side. The fighting. The talking back. The property destruction. After Rick told him she let him smoke pot in the house, John stopped calling them. He hated how she let him get away with everything.

His dad's wife hated John's guts. She called him an "old man trapped in a kid's body."

There was a new baby on the way. John wasn't allowed to name her.

16 years old.

Rick got in with a bad crowd. The small town life bored him, so he joined a gang. That's exactly how he said it. He did harder stuff than pot now, but John never asked what it was. He suspected it was heroin or cocaine. It made his voice sound like he was choking.

The next year, he got in trouble for stealing something heavy duty. It was a misdemeanor charge. Things escalated from there. The drug habit worsened along with the stealing. And then, a month shy of 18, Rick was arrested for dealing. Four years in prison. He'd be out when he was 21.

When he was 18, John went to college in Ohio. He lived with his mother instead of staying in the dorms. They got back in touch and made up for all of the years they'd spent apart. They forgave themselves for things they didn't know they were sorry for.

22 years old.

John graduated around the same time Rick got out of jail. He agreed to support him for a while. It had been 12 years since they had last seen each other face-to-face.

And then, Rick stole their mom's TV. John staged everything so it looked more like a random break-in. It would have broken her heart to know Rick had relapsed.

"So, Johnny, whaddya say? Forty bucks for your dear old brother." Rick's voice brought John back to reality. The sun was going down towards their right. "No one hires dudes with records these days. Life's tough."

John should have refused. He knew exactly what that money was going to be used for.

...But he had spent his whole life turning his back on his brother's problems. This was the only way he could help him. He couldn't let him suffer out on the streets, after all.

He took out his wallet.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#12 Post by Hijiri »

That..that...*le sobbing*

That was just excellent.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

jeje
Regular

#13 Post by jeje »

If you're still open? Please try with this.
Her name: Saya
His name: Rei

kaleidofish
Veteran

#14 Post by kaleidofish »

Yep, still open! I just can't start writing anything new for another 10 days. I have finals next week, so once they're done with, I'll get back to writing in this thread. :D Next up will be clua.

StarMasayume
Regular

#15 Post by StarMasayume »

Maybe one of these would be a good spark for an idea?
I like to imagine there's short stories behind my original works :)
I'll pick ones with two character that I think might have cool scenarios.

Anti-Navigational [boy&girl lost on journey]
Aim for the Heart [2 mischievous cupids]
The West & Epilogue [sci western, girl sheriff trying to catch a thief]