Writing about Romance while Lacking Understanding

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Re: Writing about Romance while Lacking Understanding

#16 Post by OokamiKasumi »

AnthonyHJ wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:There IS a model for Romance. It was created and codified by authors specifically for writing romances.
-- The 12 Stages of Intimacy
"You are not authorised to read this forum." :(
You're under 18?!
-- It's in the Hentai section, which is age-blocked.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Explosions&NickCage
Regular

#17 Post by Explosions&NickCage »

AnthonyHJ wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:There IS a model for Romance. It was created and codified by authors specifically for writing romances.
-- The 12 Stages of Intimacy
"You are not authorised to read this forum."

:(
http://manuscriptmavens.blogspot.com/20 ... imacy.html

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#18 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Good call!
-- That's pretty much what I have; the steps are the same. My post is just a little more...adult.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

AnthonyHJ
Regular
Projects: Past Mistakes
Organization: Freya's Aett

#19 Post by AnthonyHJ »

OokamiKasumi wrote:You're under 18?!
Nope, just never bothered getting flagged as Hentai-approved. Maybe I should get that sorted out...
That's... I suppose if I were writing something in a 'Fifty Shades of Grey' vein, that might be useful. Kind of understand why my attempts at sex scenes have always failed now though.
Recent work - iSchool Dreams: First Semester / iSchool Dreams: My Valentine (iPhone / iPad, dating sims)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#20 Post by OokamiKasumi »

AnthonyHJ wrote:... just never bothered getting flagged as Hentai-approved. Maybe I should get that sorted out...
Perhaps you should.
That's... I suppose if I were writing something in a 'Fifty Shades of Grey' vein, that might be useful. Kind of understand why my attempts at sex scenes have always failed now though.
My version of this is geared a bit more toward...adult interaction.
-- LOL! You know, I have a rather in-depth tutorial for writing sex scenes in the hentai section too. :)

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#21 Post by Glasskitten »

An Internet article I saw a long time ago told me that romantic love uses the same brain chemicals as autistic perseveration. I don't know if it's fully or partly true, but it would explain why I can have the exact same emotions toward a person as toward a cryptid, an algorithm, or a mountain.
But since then I've experienced emotions toward a former classmate that don't exactly fit the former pattern: Not only is there a "halo effect" turning him into my personal Chuck Norris, but I also experience creepy, uncharacteristic impulses to have tactile interaction with him. Which is kind of pointless given that he's three states away. I think this may be a normal part of human romantic attachment, possibly.

This is also barely related, but I've heard that sexual interaction can increase the intensity of a romantic bond for a few months or years or something, but it varies by individual hormone levels. In any case I have not tested this.

Note: I'm not diagnosed with anything because I am afraid of doctors and permanent labels, but it is widely agreed that something is deeply "wrong" with my social skills. Non-professionals have suggested Asperger's, but other non-professionals have suggested abuse/retardation/evil, so God only knows where my perspective on all this comes from. I'm sorry if it turns out to be completely useless. I hope at least it's not counterproductive in any way.
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

NeroTH

#22 Post by NeroTH »

OokamiKasumi wrote:
AnthonyHJ wrote:... just never bothered getting flagged as Hentai-approved. Maybe I should get that sorted out...
Perhaps you should.

How would one go about doing that? I'm new to this forum, so any information at all would help.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by OokamiKasumi »

NeroTH wrote:
How would one go about doing that? I'm new to this forum, so any information at all would help.
Have you tried sending a PM to one of the moderators as 'asking'? (That's what I did.)
-- Actually, I think there's a checkbox somewhere in the personal profile section.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#24 Post by Greeny »

I would like to point out that the theorem brought forth by OokamiKasumi is, I believe, the more accurate 'model' for 'romance'.

What AnthonyHJ has described, while not inaccurate, relates more to the concept of the transformation from "infatuation" to "love", a common occurence in relationships. However, neither infatuation nor love are required for the concept of "romance" as has been described, nor do they, when they occur, neccessarily have to occur together, or in that order. That possibilities are multiple, though admittedly less common.

In general, I seek to strive against attempts to classify these concepts though. I, and I daresay many others, disagree with attempts to turn romantic interaction into a science.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter