How do you make long story more concise?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
yukipon
Regular
Organization: SJP

Re: How do you make long story more concise?

#16 Post by yukipon »

Sooo~ Going back to the original topic summarized in one line:
Dim Sum wrote:How do you make a long story more "concise"?
-Identify "what" your story "is".
-Revise everything else.

Here you go~.
"How do you know my name? Damn, this can only mean one of two things: Either we have met, and you are telling the truth, and I just can't remember it, or you are a spy." ~Setou Kenji (Katawa Shoujo)
Status: Thinking. Planning. And playing Phantasy Star Online 2 JP.

Dim Sum
Regular

#17 Post by Dim Sum »

yukipon wrote:Sooo~ Going back to the original topic summarized in one line:
Dim Sum wrote:How do you make a long story more "concise"?
-Revise everything else.

Here you go~.
Story is frankenplot. As in story with no story. (Yes, this is identification not confusion about what story is.)

Can't revise everything else cause don't know how to code new game+ or use variables plus FSN not only way to do route branch.

Even if know, it's not like that fixes it. There are VNs that predate FSN method but none were as well received as FSN. (albeit I only know of one).

yukipon
Regular

#18 Post by yukipon »

Dim Sum wrote:
Story is frankenplot. As in story with no story. (Yes, this is identification not confusion about what story is.)

Can't revise everything else cause don't know how to code new game+ or use variables plus FSN not only way to do route branch.

Even if know, it's not like that fixes it. There are VNs that predate FSN method but none were as well received as FSN. (albeit I only know of one).
The topic of the thread stated that you wanted to know how to "make a long story more concise?" This implies writing. Several people have given their advice on it. And it seems you've identified your story, though knowing it is a different monster altogether.

But now you're having issues with revisions because your programming skills aren't up to par.

So, before anyone here can really help you, what is/are your issue(s) exactly?

If you can't identify what your issues are aside from a broad categorical descriptor, you might want to rethink your development process.
"How do you know my name? Damn, this can only mean one of two things: Either we have met, and you are telling the truth, and I just can't remember it, or you are a spy." ~Setou Kenji (Katawa Shoujo)

Dim Sum
Regular

#19 Post by Dim Sum »

yukipon wrote:
Dim Sum wrote: But now you're having issues with revisions because your programming skills aren't up to par.
Ehh...??? No.

That's only for FSN style.
yukipon wrote:So, before anyone here can really help you, what is/are your issue(s) exactly?
Still same.
yukipon wrote:If you can't identify what your issues are aside from a broad categorical descriptor, you might want to rethink your development process.
It not broad categorical descriptor.

Broad categorical descriptor is:

Identify story. Broad.

so reply with: Story identified to un-broad.

-Revise everything else.

Everything. Broad.

so reply with: Can't revise everything else cause don't know how to code new game+ or use variables plus FSN not only way to do route branch.

...cause that simple answer but understanding how it can easily be twisted to "now you're problem is with coding?! (as case by your reply)

followed with:

i.e. un-broading of broad reply of revise everything by implying even if coding no problem, it still doesn't fix writing which as you eloquently put it: implies writing.

summary: Revising everything does not fix concise. It just gives broad advise. Since broad advise was too broad, made reply so you can identify what advise you are really giving as to help you rethink your helpful reply in much more helpful way.

yukipon
Regular

#20 Post by yukipon »

Dim Sum wrote:
=_=;;;

Okay... so ignoring that really weird tangent...

Either way, it really comes down to this: If you didn't understand what I meant in those two very concise bullet points, this tells me that you don't know what your story is.

So, let's start with that. What is your story?

Dim Sum
Regular

#21 Post by Dim Sum »

???

Already said it's frankenplot.
yukipon wrote:If you didn't understand what I meant in those two very concise bullet points, this tells me that you don't know what your story is.
When was did not understand even mentioned?

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#22 Post by tigerkidde »

Hi Dim Sum,

I'm not sure if the folks here can advise you. Your interpretations of definitions and of advice are different than the anticipated response. Your responses give the impression that posters are not answering your question, when they have several times.

Can your main plot be summarized in six sentences or less. If there is no main plot, then you may need to determine if what you have is a standalone, independent scenario.

Example subject to interpretation, the Bible.

God creates man.
Man makes mistakes.
God punishes man.
Man writes laws.
Man makes more mistakes.
Cycle repeats until end of man.

(things can get more complex than that. A lot of interconnected passages and themes that skip ahead or allude to a final battle in many Christian interpretations)

Your question may not be answered by anyone, but you. Don't let those two recruitment threads get to you.

Dim Sum
Regular

#23 Post by Dim Sum »

Yes, difficult. I don't know if I can answer on my own.

Certain answers don't come easy when you don't wield RenPy and it wields you. (Though just as slave to image editor cause of ignorance.)

Plot is frankenplot, summary in six sentences or less is:

One makes decision.
That decision will kill another one.
But choice not clear.
Cause bad VN at work.
Which is better for frankenplot and random artwork.
Cycle repeats until last person alive or frankenplot coughs no more.

Differential difference from standalone, independent scenario in-game: Player clicks one menu, suddenly is shown one of major character is being killed. Choice makes no sense. Explanation omitted. It is bad game design choice but will pursue it cause it concise. Route of choice changes many minor elements in other casts and dead character must not belong. That is what makes that particular menu choice concise.

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#24 Post by tigerkidde »

Is the story written down? Do not limit your story to what programming, art, or music assets you have available.

Write the story as you know it to be true without those restrictions. Have someone that you know read it, asking them what they thought the main plot was. And which characters or other plots they felt did not contribute to the main plot. If their perception agrees with you, consider chopping out the culprits.

With the main plot in mind, you can determine which resources are reasonable to pursue / request assistance with, then aim to make your project.

If thou is feeling super crazy, PM a link to your story so far.

If story not written down, write down or record brainstorms to start.

Dim Sum
Regular

#25 Post by Dim Sum »

Story is written down but too controversial to show yet. (controversial as in crap) Sorry can't pm because of that.

Wanted to stick to script but sadly it's inevitable. Already had to modify several script events because art is being limited by story.

Thank you for offer though. Will just stick with original short length I guess.