How to Write Poetry for VN

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
lemuel
Regular
Projects: What is Life When the Golden is Gone?

How to Write Poetry for VN

#1 Post by lemuel »

A caveat: I despise poetry, even in English, that rhymes. When it is translated into English in such a way that it rhymes, alarmbells go off for me: what sacrifices in meaning and syntax did the translator mutilate the original with on order to make it rhyme?

Rant aside, I much prefer to write parallel poetry (like in Hebrew or Chinese) that can be translated into many languages without losing much beauty. My question is: would this be acceptable poetry in a VN? At least one route involves characters writing much poetry to each other, and other will probably also have poetry in them as well.

A sample of my parallel poetry (from Highschool) is provided for consideration.

Tribute to Dyed-Haired Young Woman From Highschool and the Writings of Jack Vance

SOME HAVE CONCLUDED THAT DYED HAIR LOOKS GAUDY
BUT I HAVE CONCLUDED THAT THIS IS NOT SO.
FOR LOOKING UPON THY RAINBOW-COLOURED TRESSES,
I AM PUT IN MIND OF KANDIVE THE GOLDEN.

Dim Sum
Regular

Re: How to Write Poetry for VN

#2 Post by Dim Sum »

Poetry is about imparting visuals so: "Capt. Obvious" but it really dependent on art style's ability to impart mood line-by-line.

If writer can't sync with art or if art can seem to "grow old" per section then poetry is just...text.

Example hypothesis (unfortunately dead example links) http://www.collisiondetection.net/mt/ar ... back_i.php

cuttlefish
Regular

#3 Post by cuttlefish »

Poetry is poetry, whether parallel, rhyming, open, or of a certain style (ex. sonnet).
Writing poetry for a VN shouldn't be any different from writing poetry in a letter or a book.

I think all types of poetry are okay in VNs, so your parallel poetry would be okay too.
Just be aware of the presentation: the pacing in NVL format might be better than the default ADV format.
Last edited by cuttlefish on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemuel
Regular
Projects: What is Life When the Golden is Gone?

#4 Post by lemuel »

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I shall reply to the PM this afternoon.