How To Effectively Write Horror?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

How To Effectively Write Horror?

#1 Post by Ionait »

Hi everyone!

I have decided to try to make my daughter and my husband RenPy games for Christmas. Of course, this topic pertains to the gift I want to make for my husband. He loves horror stories, especially the short but effective stories found on the Creepy Pasta website. He doesn't actually like playing horror games as much, just loves reading the horror genre. He's a fan of Stephen King and Clive Cussler (not a horror novelist I know.) He's not a fan of gore, at least when it's for no reason. He also adores Japanese horror films and often perceives them to be much more suspenseful and scary than American horror.

So... I want to make a horror RenPy game that is as engrossing as a novel!

But I have never written horror before. The last time I tried for a library short story contest, I came up with a more Battle Royal-esque story than something scary.

Also worth noting, I am a big wuss! My imagination is always running and I am a visual thinker, which often causes me to scare myself over nothing or while reading those stories. xD

So.. Wow, I rambled and added a lot of random info. But the point of the post really is how to effectively write horror! How to trick the reader's imagination and put it into high gear!

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: How To Effectively Write Horror?

#2 Post by MaiMai »

I think you'll need to immerse yourself with some reference material, whether it's books, movies, or horror video games (probably books if you claim to be a big wuss and it would help more with your writing.)

A horror book I personally recommend is Curse of the Wendigo by Rick Yancey.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

dogmirian

#3 Post by dogmirian »

sounds like an interesting problem, and i would like to see some other ideas for how to get around it or how other people write horror.
Also if you are looking for some short stories, here is a website that has all of H.P. Lovecrafts short stories and novels, enjoy :mrgreen:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lo ... index.html

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#4 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#5 Post by Joey »

I think when it comes to horror writing, less is more -- it's not about what you show but what you don't show. Atmosphere is everything, and the best thing about visual novels is that you can accentuate that atmosphere in your writing with creepy music and sound effects. :>
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

MarineScripter
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi
Organization: Oceanic Eden Productions

#6 Post by MarineScripter »

Horror is quite a hard genre to do effectively well. Yes, it is easy to slip into the battle royale genre, as finding more original topics can be hard. I've played a fair share of horror games, most of them point-and-click. To suggest an easy one, that'd be Shiver: the Vanishing Hitchhiker. Stephen King is a great example. The key is not to dull out the suspense with too much detail--a great part of horror is that the reader can picture it in their own mind. As this is a visual novel, your pictures will have to make up just well for what needs to be shown, and a soundtrack will also have to chosen carefully. For the visual aspects, perhaps reading some horror manga or something could help. An simple one to recommend as a start would be Kiben Gakuha Yotsuya-senpai no Kaidan, as it deals in a few short, simple horror stories.
Good luck!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

Already discussed here.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift