Before and after: How much have you changed?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

Re: Before and after: How much have you changed?

#16 Post by Lumella »

I used to do romance and fantasy before. Now, I've began writing scripts that are more darker & twisted which are often backed-up by psychoanalysis research and medical research when it comes to proving ones point.

Oh yeah, I always use the question "why?" when a character does a significant action in the story.
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

ImmaDeker
Regular
Organization: "Glycerine" by Bush

#17 Post by ImmaDeker »

Nowadays, a lot of my inspiration for my work comes from inhaling a scent version of Train's "Calling All Angels" and licking wheels.

Odin

#18 Post by Odin »

My writing was awful, hah. I didn't know how to develop a plot, I didn't know about exposition, dialogue, or anything like that. I tried too hard to be "cute" or "funny" in my writing, and I used ... *gulp* ... an Author Avatar. My style was really sheltered and there was nothing offensive at all (I was homeschooled when I started writing). Now, I write stories about killing children and bombings. I'm also much more honest and liberal with my vocabulary now than I was then. I've certainly grown darker, huh? Maybe it's school ...
Quite honestly, I hate my writing from two, three years ago. It's terrible compared to current-day. I still don't think I'm very good, but I'm certainly better than I used to be. I get the feeling I'll say the same thing two, three years from now. It's interesting to look back and see how I've developed, though.

ImmaDeker
Regular
Organization: "Glycerine" by Bush

#19 Post by ImmaDeker »

Odin wrote:and I used ... *gulp* ... an Author Avatar.
That's not inherently bad.

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#20 Post by Anarchy »

I used to write gorgeous, flowing, highly descriptive prose. Anne Rice was my greatest inspiration.

Then I read all those writing books on how to be concise.

Now I'm a minimalist.

/sob

Odin

#21 Post by Odin »

ImmaDeker wrote:
Odin wrote:and I used ... *gulp* ... an Author Avatar.
That's not inherently bad.
It is when you constantly named your character "Odin", and he's a third-generation New Zealander/Irishman/New Yorker. If it were a story that took place in ancient Scandinavia, I would have understood it. I never wrote anything even remotely related to it, and it was just incredibly out of place. Also, I don't like AAs, because I think they're pretty self-serving. At least, that's how I've come to view it.