Writing Workshop(s) planning thread

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
cuttlefish
Regular

Re: Writing Workshop(s) planning thread

#16 Post by cuttlefish »

Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote:The plan I was thinking was 3-4 lessons per week (depending on number of total lessons) [...] (currently in the list there is 28 lessons, but there will probably be more added, so that number may change.) Hope that makes sense.
Makes sense, but wow that's a lot of lessons :shock:
I'm excited, but I wonder how assignments and feedback will be handled each week?
Would 3-4 lessons be introduced at once, or gradually over the course of the week?
I have no problems with assignments being uploaded somewhere, however I don't really see a ton of reason, not to just post it as a post in the topic, though I could be missing something.
I guess assignments will be rather short? Like a word limit per exercise?
However I do want to note, that the quote you posted, I believe, was in regards to creating a file for the lesson itself, rather than talking about assignments.
I see. I couldn't tell, then. ^^;
cuttlefish wrote:Are there multiple workshop teachers right now?
Currently there are 3 of us, including myself, who have expressed such interest.
That's great! I wish I could be helpful on that side of things, but I still have much to learn.
I wish you all the best!

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#17 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

If I might be so bold as to make a request, I'd love it if someone touched on how to avoid making the dialogue sound exactly the same from different characters.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

destiny_921
Regular
Completed: Closure [KN]
Projects: The Universal Hope (writer, WIP)

#18 Post by destiny_921 »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:If I might be so bold as to make a request, I'd love it if someone touched on how to avoid making the dialogue sound exactly the same from different characters.
Hmm, do you mean making the dialogue not monotonous or repetitive or both? Or do you mean avoiding having Character A and Character B's dialogue sound the same?
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope

::Misc::
Writing Guide

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#19 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Avoiding having Character A and Character B's dialogue sound the same
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Mad Bat
Regular

#20 Post by Mad Bat »

I believe he's referring to each character having a distinct voice. Making sure said voices are consistent is also important. The most successful, well-developed characters can ideally be told apart even if their names are hidden.

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#21 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:Avoiding having Character A and Character B's dialogue sound the same
Mad Bat wrote:I believe he's referring to each character having a distinct voice. Making sure said voices are consistent is also important. The most successful, well-developed characters can ideally be told apart even if their names are hidden.
As Mad Bat pointed out, characters who are well developed won't sound the same as another character. Unless they fall under the same basic mold. (archetype, style, etc)

A well developed character will accomplish the following:

- A distinct voice (different from others)
- A kind of understanding, (as in the reader can piece together why the character does what they do, and at times even predict it)
- A memorable trait. (There is something about the character that will stand out and make them memorable, something a reader won't forget, when they think back to your story.)

People don't all talk the same, and if you develop your characters enough that you understand all about them, they will as well.

We will cover characters and how to develop them extensively, so not to worry.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#22 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

It's a bigger problem for me than for most. I live in a non-English speaking country, and most of the people I know learn English from me, which means their way of talking becomes very similar to mine, but simplified.
All the character dialogue I've written so far sounds like me pretending to be someone else. Anyone who knows me and played demos noticed it very quickly.

I look forward to the writing workshop. I think I'll be making a lot of changes as a result.

jghibiki
Regular
Projects: Dream's Dénouement, Unannounced RPG framework, Renpy-Safe Logger
Organization: Team Anarky
IRC Nick: jghibiki

#23 Post by jghibiki »

I could help with teaching something such as the effects of sentence structure :) pm me if interested

MioSegami
Regular
Projects: PATUKA PRIVATE PARADISE
Organization: BlueAngelService

#24 Post by MioSegami »

Wow! You have my full support! I hope this workshop can be made :]! I'll certainly participate as a student.
Since I'm not the greatest teacher. And isn't so experienced myself >.<!
CLICK IT------------->viewtopic.php?f=43&t=40639&p=430149#p430149
Projects: PATUKA PRIVATE ISLAND
Story: 15% complete
Script: 0%
Art: 35%
Outline: 15%
Code: 10%

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#25 Post by OokamiKasumi »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:...All the character dialogue I've written so far sounds like me pretending to be someone else. Anyone who knows me and played demos noticed it very quickly.
My way of dealing with this problem is by visualizing each character as a specific movie Actor, and use their way of speaking -- including their body language.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

chocoberrie
Veteran
Projects: Marshmallow Days

#26 Post by chocoberrie »

Is this workshop still being planned, or is it not happening at all...?

I think it's a fantastic idea -- I'd love to see it get off the ground! :)

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular

#27 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Well, I'm at least not ready to really give it up.

So it will happen, at some point. I must admit I grew busy and then had/have (they are still going on, 5 freaking months so far :cry: ) health issues. But it will happen, I promise you that. Hopefully sometime in the near future.

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular

#28 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Just thought I'd post an update on how things are progressing. We are currently working on the first four lessons. With the first one, just needing review and touch ups!

We'll probably start up the workshop once those lessons are completed.