What is your specialized genre?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
LeonGuisti
Regular

Re: What is your specialized genre?

#16 Post by LeonGuisti »

uselessp wrote:'you don't need to actually [be] in love to write a romance story.'
Truer words have never been spoken. Love is poison to a creative environment. You turn into the fluffy ball of mush and you can't even think properly. I don't recommend it. Love. Terrible stuff.

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#17 Post by arachni42 »

LeonGuisti wrote:
uselessp wrote:Truer words have never been spoken. Love is poison to a creative environment. You turn into the fluffy ball of mush and you can't even think properly. I don't recommend it. Love. Terrible stuff.
I think the best situation to be in is having been in love many times, but not to be freshly in love when you're writing the story... it is very distracting. ;) But that fluffy ball of mush stuff is valuable material later.
Once you get past the "No, I love you more!" dialogues.
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#18 Post by Ran08 »

arachni42 wrote:
LeonGuisti wrote:
uselessp wrote:Truer words have never been spoken. Love is poison to a creative environment. You turn into the fluffy ball of mush and you can't even think properly. I don't recommend it. Love. Terrible stuff.
I think the best situation to be in is having been in love many times, but not to be freshly in love when you're writing the story... it is very distracting. ;) But that fluffy ball of mush stuff is valuable material later.
Once you get past the "No, I love you more!" dialogues.
This. I love writing romance, but when I'm in love... I tend to write fluff more than anything. XD

Hm, I tend to be melodramatic in my stories though, and sometimes, romantic scenes become "drama" scenes when I write. Hahaha. I love writing comedy, although I can never write comedy when I'm supposed to be writing it.

And even when I write a horror story, romance will still come into play.

Sooo... romance. I tend to add romance in everything. Ugh. I'm such a hopeless romantic...

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#19 Post by Gear »

It's weird; despite not liking science fiction for the most part, I seem to do the best at that. I think I would be really good at writing a superhero type of thing, but I don't like to do fanfiction, and I can't come up with my own hero. I can do fantasy decently, I think.

I'm probably worst at slice-of-life stuff, because I don't know how to spice it up so it's interesting. I'm also pretty bad at romance.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

LeonGuisti
Regular

#20 Post by LeonGuisti »

Gear wrote:I think I would be really good at writing a superhero type of thing, but I don't like to do fanfiction, and I can't come up with my own hero.
I always wanted to do a superhero thing but I feel everything's just about been done. Superheroes have been around since the 50's. I feel like there's nothing left to explore.

Anyway, I sort of like mysteries. Writing them is a little tricky cus you have to work from the conclusion on down and if you're not careful there's so many plot holes on the way to or from the end.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#21 Post by Obscura »

I aim for comedy. Whether I achieve it is another issue.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Blutkristall
Regular
Projects: Memento Vivere, Knife Point Horror
Organization: Lastrail

#22 Post by Blutkristall »

Embarrassingly pretentious over-the-top Cyberpunk, Horror and Gothic Fantasy.
Hopefully I'll eventually learn to become a bit more grounded, haha.
Everyone has their favorite blind spot.

deviltales
Regular

#23 Post by deviltales »

A bit of everything.
I gussy everything up with romance. Love just makes things more interesting... and twisted, if the lovebirds are not quite happy with their affair ;).

Of those bits, I guess fantasy and psychological stories are my sharp point. But then again, maybe I can be good at writing other genres, and I don't know it.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

o v e n
Regular
Projects: Five Mondays Gone
Organization: Uth City Press

#24 Post by o v e n »

Dialogue.
._ .

It's not a genre, but I seriously write everything and anything, and one aspect always shines through/captures my best efforts and that's dialogue. In narration, I've taken to falling back on 1st POV just because I want to use character voice at every available turn. I've considered chucking it all in and just being a scriptwriter because hnnng rhetoric. The limits you put on a character's vocabulary are just as important as the words you add to it, carving the character out of stone so to speak and throwing away all the bits and chunks that don't properly define them AND IT IS THE BEST, MOST FUNNEST SCIENCE is people-building. With words.

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#25 Post by truefaiterman »

Horror. And gore. Damn, so much GORE EVERYWHERE.

I even lampshaded it in one of my stories:
"Eh, no podría ser un relato de Truefaiterman sin un poco de gore y casquería."
"Hey, it couldn't be a Truefaiterman's tale without some gore and tripe."
(Sorry if I failed with the translation).

But, when ignoring the BLOOD AND LIMBS, ahem... I think I can write good dialogues, and I'm not that bad with comedy (or gory comedy, at least xD). Now I want to try some historical-based stories, I believe I can do it well.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

elhlyn
Regular
Projects: Manorialism

#26 Post by elhlyn »

well I don't have that much in experince but.

I guess in a weird way I do specialize in romance stories, since I am a hopeless romantic myself in real life -w-

but other than that I seem to lean more towards historical themed stories based off of real settings in a sense. so I can't make up some fictional medieval period like most RPG. but it has to be based off of something like 1400s England or 1500s Japan.
which by the way with the current story I'm writting my specialty leans heavily towards the Sengoku period since it's set by there but it is well loosely true per say for the sake of the story.

marshmello

#27 Post by marshmello »

I wouldn't say I'm specialized in anything but most of my writing tends to drift towards darker themes. It's often filled with sarcasm and my terrible sense of humour though whether I can make anyone laugh or not with it is beyond me. I also work well with fantasy and occasionally slice-of-life. I always end up squeezing in a bit of romance here and there if I can help it.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#28 Post by Blane Doyle »

Honestly? I feel I write, and enjoy writing, urban fantasy/"horror" (more "suspense with horror elements" I think) or slice of life the most. I've dabbled in mystery, I've dabbled in a little high fantasy, but these are where I seem to find myself leaning back to. Usually these are extremely character driven and tend to have the characters move the plot and story rather than the other way around.

This is probably why I got "Literature" on the Fiction Quiz...

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#29 Post by lemonscent »

I specialize in fantasy. Actually, all the stories I've ever written seriously & for my own pleasure (i.e., not for school) as of late have all been urban fantasy lol.
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by lepapillonrouge »

I guess I 'specialize' in contemporary fiction...mainly because that's usually what is read in creative writing workshops in school. (The main reason is because people tend to question the world (especially for fantasy/sci-fi than the characters, setting, craft, and other things that professors emphasize more) For stuff where I feel freer to do more genre writing, slice of life, romance, fantasy, supernatural stuff.
deviantART
---------------------