Music while writing?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
LIZM
Regular

Re: Music while writing?

#46 Post by LIZM »

I actually like listening to TV show/cartoon episodes while I'm working on something. It keeps me entertained and in a good mood even when I'm struggling with something. When working on more emotional writing/art, it would really throw me off though, so I tend to switch to songs that fit the atmosphere.

Music is my main source of inspiration, so I actually tend to listen to it more when I take breaks or need some fresh thoughts and ideas to continue the script properly. In that case, I like anything from instrumentals to songs with vocals of nearly every genre. Bonus points for singers whose voices would fit the story's characters.

Seiza
Regular
Projects: The Cruel Fate of War
Tumblr: Cj2ymail

#47 Post by Seiza »

I don't usually listen to music while writing (i get easily distracted), but listening to music before writing really helps, especially by in setting up the mood for the story.
For example, when i'm writing something light and fun i usually listen to slightly upbeat classical music or something
Sad Scenes Need sad Music of course
Horror and Chase scenes need music that will literally make your heart skip a beat
and so on and so forth...

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#48 Post by trooper6 »

I get way too distracted by music. So I cannot listen to music while I'm writing--or anything really. I can listen to music before hand, or during breaks, but not during writing. If I'm in a cafe that is playing music, it has to be music I don't know and can tune out. If I know the music...then I'll get distracted and start bopping along to it...and then start analyzing it...and then I'll be off in distraction-land.

I can listen to music while drawing or while coding though.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#49 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I sometimes need something to serve as "white noise" while writing---particularly if I want to quash distracting thoughts I may have---but I try to avoid music when working, as it can affect my emotions too much. I opt for natural sounds and soothing voices instead.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

mineraloid
Completed: Hustle Cat
Projects: TBA
Organization: green solid
Tumblr: mineraloid

#50 Post by mineraloid »

To those of you who mentioned white noise, are you familiar with my Noise.net? There are a lot of different sounds, like the ever-popular rain machine, but also things like the sounds of a busy coffee shop. I usually listen to music that fits the theme of what I'm writing, but sometimes when I need a break and music is too distracting I'll come here and put on the coffee shop. Though, given the nature of my VN project, maybe I should be listening to Cat Purr instead. :wink:

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#51 Post by Mad Harlequin »

mineraloid wrote:To those of you who mentioned white noise, are you familiar with my Noise.net?
Now I am! Thanks for the recommendation!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#52 Post by YossarianIII »

Flockaveli by Waka Flocka Flame on loop for four hours = most productive writing of entire life.

Mogwai

#53 Post by Mogwai »

Hi.

I have a 3hs collection of anime/VNs music, and it did the job quite well...

Until I noticed I started to understand the lyrics.

I started studying Japanese on my own, and I really liked the language, so I think I'm making some progress (Even when I keep forgetting some Katanakas.). I started paying more attention to words, and grammar, and I've some basic notions.

And that killed the whole purpose of my "3hs of music in a language I don't understand and then doesn't distracts me", because even when I get only a phrase or 2 from some of them, it's enough to distract me.

Sometimes, I really surprise me with my capabilities to sabotage my own plans.

Now, I think I'll return to my "Hour and half of music without lyrics" I used before collecting the 3hs one.

I'll also try the Noise web.

Thanks,
Mogwai's out.

If you can, please remark to me any mistake I make (Specially in grammar). I'm not English native, so anything you say to me helps me learn the language.
The same for anything I do. I can take criticism. And, if I can't, I should do.
Shot at me! I can take it. I think. Unless I forgot the Kevlar.

Labradorain
Projects: Rain Flavour, On the ivory key
Soundcloud: Labradorain

#54 Post by Labradorain »

I too listen to classical musics, especially piano music and sometimes string instrumental ones when I write, or looking for inspiration to write. For me, preludes are the most preferable one. They are short but deposit considerable feelings, which may leads me to new ideas and concepts.

RotGtIE
Veteran

#55 Post by RotGtIE »

mineraloid wrote:To those of you who mentioned white noise, are you familiar with my Noise.net? There are a lot of different sounds, like the ever-popular rain machine, but also things like the sounds of a busy coffee shop. I usually listen to music that fits the theme of what I'm writing, but sometimes when I need a break and music is too distracting I'll come here and put on the coffee shop. Though, given the nature of my VN project, maybe I should be listening to Cat Purr instead. :wink:
Seconding this. Ambiance has proven a consistently more productive aid for me than even instrumental music. I can't recommend it strongly enough.

The Wombologists
Projects: First Test Game-simple story.
Tumblr: viataf
Deviantart: viataf

#56 Post by The Wombologists »

pretty much orchestra compositions, video games ost and sometimes other genres of music like hip-hop instrumentals, techno, hard rock, metal, christian music, jazz, etc. But i mostly listen to vg osts and orchestra music to keep me upbeat and creative!
ANGELS ARE METAL

Smudgeed
Regular
itch: smud

#57 Post by Smudgeed »

Like a lot of people, I like finding music that fits the scene I am writing. Sad music for a sad scene, sexy music for a sexy scene. It works well to put me in the mood of writing a specific scene and is much better than having some upbeat Katy Perry song blaring when I try to write a particularly sad scene. I have playlists of songs that remind me of the characters I am writing, so I also play those to get me in the mood too. If I don't need to amp myself to write a specific scene, I mostly listen to jazz.

I'm also a fan of ambient sound when writing, I use Coffitivity a lot (I particularly like the sort of coffee shop ambient sound). Mineraloid mentioned MyNoise and I also use that :)

Ozitiho
Regular

#58 Post by Ozitiho »

My attention tends to waver when I listen to any music with lyrics. Not horribly so. But in contrast instrumental music helps me focus. And silence makes me uncomfortable.