Music while writing?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
inhalance
Regular
Projects: Seasonal Melody ♬

Music while writing?

#1 Post by inhalance »

Hey guys! I'm just curious as to what kind of music you listen to (if you listen to any at all) while you write. I normally listen to soothing or classical music to help me stay focused, since it helps me produce (somewhat) efficient results. If I feel like I'm about to fall asleep, I switch to a genre that is more upbeat, like pop or electronica.

If you listen to music while you write, what kind do you listen to and why? What type do you feel maximizes the efficiency of your output?
Offering proofreading help and writing assets.

Current WIP:

HamstarXCrown
Regular

Re: Music while writing?

#2 Post by HamstarXCrown »

For "sad screen", I used to listen "A Thousand Year" by Christina Perri
"Ib_Memory" and "Lacie" for normal screen. ( Sorry, I don't know the artist/composer)
I listen to my own VN music, too \^.^/
My new account is Bear X - Any progress or Project update I will posting by it. If I'm working with someone please PM me by it

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#3 Post by teacup »

Usually really peaceful, non-intrusive music. c:
I also like to listen to the sound of rain. I find it really relaxing.
Never anything with lyrics, since the words in the music sometimes distract me from writing my own words.

specialtantei
Veteran

#4 Post by specialtantei »

It really depends on what I'm writing, but I usually flow from Nox Arcana to TAMUSIC, Umineko BGMs, and look around the Most Epic OSTs of All Time on Youtube for action stuff. Neat music <3.
Sometimes I listen to Jazz, mainly when I write about badass villains :lol: .

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#5 Post by Taleweaver »

I like to listen to ambient instrumental music. Nothing with any intellegible lyrics, though, and nothing too loud. Some soft Gaelic folk music often helps.

That "rainy mood" website sure would help too, by the way, but that's not just rain on that site. That's a thunderstorm, which is considerably less relaxing than the sort of rain I like to listen to.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Aines445
Regular

#6 Post by Aines445 »

When I write, I listen to music that reminds me of the plot/idea of what I'm writing, to make sure I don't forget those ideas and to develop them further (Because I'm really forgetful). I also do this when I'm drawing, it gives me inspiration and makes sure I don't forget the design.

inhalance
Regular
Projects: Seasonal Melody ♬

#7 Post by inhalance »

teacup wrote:Usually really peaceful, non-intrusive music. c:
I also like to listen to the sound of rain. I find it really relaxing.
Never anything with lyrics, since the words in the music sometimes distract me from writing my own words.
Ah, I really like that website too! If you listen to any one of Yiruma's songs with it, it's amazing (I recommend Kiss The Rain!) n__n. I agree with you about lyrics distracting you from your own writing - sometimes it's hard to organize my thoughts and keep them in line while I'm daydreaming about the song ^^;
Taleweaver wrote:I like to listen to ambient instrumental music. Nothing with any intellegible lyrics, though, and nothing too loud. Some soft Gaelic folk music often helps.

That "rainy mood" website sure would help too, by the way, but that's not just rain on that site. That's a thunderstorm, which is considerably less relaxing than the sort of rain I like to listen to.
Hm.. now that you pointed it out, it is a thunderstorm. :shock: Even though it's one of my favorite go-to websites for instant relaxation, the thunder aspect does make me feel a bit uneasy at times since I'm not very good with thunder. ;__; Instrumental music is great, too! I normally listen to orchestral or band soundtracks as well, by composers such as Steve Reineke, Eric Whitacre, or Robert W. Smith.
Last edited by inhalance on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offering proofreading help and writing assets.

Current WIP:

Aines445
Regular

#8 Post by Aines445 »

teacup wrote: Never anything with lyrics, since the words in the music sometimes distract me from writing my own words.
I agree with you about lyrics distracting you from your own writing - sometimes it's hard to organize my thoughts and keep them in line while I'm daydreaming about the song ^^;
Hmm....Might I be the only person that doesnt have that problem? XD And I'm so forgetful too. I always listen to music with lyrics while writing or drawing so when I read that I just wondered and I'm laughing a bit because of this XD. I guess it can hinder your concentration, but I mostly listen to it to remind me of things like that, I wonder if I'm the only one?.... Might this be why I'm not that good at writing?....Now that I think about it.....Oh no.... XD

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#9 Post by KittyKatStar »

I listen to pretty much anything. Rock, alternative, country, k/j/c-pop, dance, some pop, video game soundtracks (Xenoblade <3 ), trance, jazz, R&B, Motown (Four Tops etc). I could keep going, since I'm pretty flexible with what I listen to. ^^;

But if I wanna focus on writing something light-hearted or cute, it can be anything from idolmaster to vocaloids. (Dream Fighter from Perfume has actually become my 'focus' song. Whenever I need to clear my head and just... start, I use that song first. And then whatever genre I feel like after. So if I'm struggling to get the first sentence/idea down, I play that song.)

And because I play certain songs so often, they've actually become associated with themes/characters/sections of my writing. ^^;

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#10 Post by teacup »

Taleweaver wrote: That "rainy mood" website sure would help too, by the way, but that's not just rain on that site. That's a thunderstorm, which is considerably less relaxing than the sort of rain I like to listen to.
inhalance wrote: Hm.. now that you pointed it out, it is a thunderstorm. :shock: Even though it's one of my favorite go-to websites for instant relaxation, the thunder aspect does make me feel a bit uneasy at times since I'm not very good with thunder. ;__;
Heh, I actually like thunder, so I don't mind the thunder sounds. But if you just want pure rain, try this website instead!

Shad12ow
Regular
Projects: Kage's Room

#11 Post by Shad12ow »

I always hear whatever music I wanted. Rap, Rock, well, everything. Well, I mostly listen to Touhou doujin music and Anime OST (Currently listening on the full track of Hidamari Sketch OST). But yeah, I listen to anything.
Aines445 wrote: Hmm....Might I be the only person that doesnt have that problem? XD And I'm so forgetful too. I always listen to music with lyrics while writing or drawing so when I read that I just wondered and I'm laughing a bit because of this XD. I guess it can hinder your concentration, but I mostly listen to it to remind me of things like that, I wonder if I'm the only one?.... Might this be why I'm not that good at writing?....Now that I think about it.....Oh no.... XD
Nope, I'm like you. I never consider it a problem, in fact it kept me awake. But, wait! Maybe I have the same problem as you are...
Well, let's just leave it aside for now, hehehe... :lol:

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes Of The Codex War, [ASH] the Seeds of Destruction
Projects: Cult of the Lily (18+)
Organization: PaperDoor Studios
Tumblr: paperdoorstudios
Deviantart: ShojiAmasawa
Soundcloud: Greyberry

#12 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

For what I am working on right now, I listen (or just think of) The Decemberists, particularly their war related songs. Black And White (05,05,05,) to Graffiti Soul era Simple Minds and Lostboy! AKA Jim Kerr.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#13 Post by dramspringfeald »

I tend to put an all instromental playlist going and either blast it drowning everything or play it just low enough as to not hear it.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#14 Post by SundownKid »

Listening to music while writing tends to decrease my productivity. I write best with complete silence, basically. Any kind of music just breaks my concentration by making my mind start daydreaming.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#15 Post by azureXtwilight »

I usually plays the game's song that plays when the scene is on, it gets me to fit the music to the scene.... Then again that's how I ended up with 20+ songs in a VN >__<