Software for drafting plot branches (or general tips)?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
logogriph

Software for drafting plot branches (or general tips)?

#1 Post by logogriph »

I apologize if this question gets asked a lot around here, but I'm actually looking for specific program that I had before. I uninstalled it a while ago thinking I was done with the VN plotting scene, but low and behold, I'm back with a vengeance. I toned down my original idea to something much, much less ambitious, and I have all the basics plotted out in writing; characters, backstory, settings, the main conflict and goal, and rough, general ideas of all the paths from beginning to end (which, wow, is a big deal for me. Because endings). In other words, it's starting to look promising story-wise. I've gotten far enough into individual scene drafting that keeping track of all the different branches is becoming problematic, thus this thread.

I can't remember the name of the program I had for the life of me, and vague googling has been nothing short of entirely unproductive. I really can't think of any other way to describe it than a bare bones flowchart-esque software that is simple, clean, and (most importantly) free. I actually found the software linked by a user here on Lemma, which is why I decided to ask here. BUT, I'm more than open to just general VN story drafting tips. I encourage it, actually. Please. Even just telling me your normal process could be a lot of help. I've found that it's a pretty different beast from regular old story drafting.

Boy, I sure did add a lot of unnecessary words to a very simple question. Anyway, any help at all is much appreciated!

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

Re: Software for drafting plot branches (or general tips)?

#2 Post by merdeamour »

I heard of a program called "Freeplane". It's totally free (I'm being such a Captain Obvious, aren't I?). Maybe that's what you're looking for?
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#3 Post by pwisaguacate »

I don't know any software designed specifically to aid with this, but I thought I'd chip in with something not quite amazing.* A tabbed text editor (such as Renpy's bundles) can be used with separate files named by their chapter or etc. Pseudocode the route layout on one file and have stuff on the others.
*Was I being obvious?

This doesn't sound too helpful for complex VN's and/or people who can't easily visualize how a mess works, but it's certainly do-able for some.

Oh wait. Also, an alternative is to use paper and pen. You may be able to do whatever flowchart you want on paper if you're good with that. (I suppose this would defeat the purpose of the original question though...)

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#4 Post by Anima »

For general diagram drawing you can use Dia. It's mostly used in the technical field but can be used for general flowcharts as well.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

Cyrus
Regular
Projects: Gumshoe

#5 Post by Cyrus »

Death Saw [Detective/3D]

logogriph

#6 Post by logogriph »

I heard of a program called "Freeplane". It's totally free (I'm being such a Captain Obvious, aren't I?). Maybe that's what you're looking for?
no, that isn't what a was looking for exactly, but yes, it is very similar! it's MIND-MAPPING software. yes, that is the word i was trying to remember to google /falls to knees. if i can't find the one i used to have (i'm very stuck in my old ways) then this would be a great substitute! thank you!
I don't know any software designed specifically to aid with this, but I thought I'd chip in with something not quite amazing.* A tabbed text editor (such as Renpy's bundles) can be used with separate files named by their chapter or etc. Pseudocode the route layout on one file and have stuff on the others.
*Was I being obvious?

This doesn't sound too helpful for complex VN's and/or people who can't easily visualize how a mess works, but it's certainly do-able for some.

Oh wait. Also, an alternative is to use paper and pen. You may be able to do whatever flowchart you want on paper if you're good with that. (I suppose this would defeat the purpose of the original question though...)
pen and paper. how sad is it that that never even crossed my mind? (computers what are you doing to me?) well, i did consider sticky notes. but the renpy bundle thing is an interesting take! that never crossed my mind either. although, i'm still very much a renpy rookie, so that's probably why. thanks for your suggestions!
For general diagram drawing you can use Dia. It's mostly used in the technical field but can be used for general flowcharts as well.
googled it and it definitely looks like i could make it work! thanks for the input
WIP: Sacred Forest

when by now and tree by leaf, she laughed his joy she cried his grief, bird by snow and stir by still, anyone's any was all to her

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#7 Post by pwisaguacate »

logogriph wrote: pen and paper. how sad is it that that never even crossed my mind? (computers what are you doing to me?) well, i did consider sticky notes. but the renpy bundle thing is an interesting take! that never crossed my mind either. although, i'm still very much a renpy rookie, so that's probably why. thanks for your suggestions!
Ha ha, yeah. It also feels like I use less paper as time goes on.

What I meant by "bundles" was the text editors that Ren'Py can use/open directly. When you first open a project within the launcher, it'll ask you to choose Editra or jEdit, and it'll download it to Renpy's directory.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#8 Post by OokamiKasumi »

logogriph wrote:
No, that isn't what a was looking for exactly, but yes, it is very similar! it's MIND-MAPPING software. yes, that is the word i was trying to remember to google /falls to knees. if i can't find the one i used to have (i'm very stuck in my old ways) then this would be a great substitute! thank you!
Could you be talking about FreeMind? It's the grandparent of FreePlane, and so close in design that you can actually use the FreeMind (.mm) documents on FreePlane. FreePlane, however has a SpellCheck, and allows for jumping to other bubbles (via little green 'link' arrows,) so you don't have to repeat whole branches, just hop over to the original.

Example:
Little Red Goes to Grannys.jpg
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

#9 Post by Semienigma »

I was wondering if there was a program that does that! I'm using paper and pencil right now but it looks like i just had a seizure on the page...I'm gonna check out that freemind and freeplane thing
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art

modesty
Regular
Completed: Line of Heroes
Projects: Captive Finwife, Trouble Brewing, Human Experiments

#10 Post by modesty »

When dealing with branches I utilize flowchart programs which are usually free.
The one I'm currently loving on is called yEd: http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.html

I like it because I can highlight things like triggering a plot flag or checking for a plot flag or adding a variable.
Example: http://seacurse.wikispaces.com/file/vie ... _part4.jpg
I color code and use shapes for outlining my story. (Yellow boxes are choice menus, diamonds are the choice options, etc)

There is a bit of a learning curve to get the graphs to look nice. There is a way to get the program to layout the graph in various ways.

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

#11 Post by Boomsickle »

I started out using a pen and paper but my branches seem to steer off ounce you have to make a choice between 3 things than i have to use another paper attached to it so it just looks real bad.

I just started using lucidchart and i gotta say it looks amazing. Definitely check it out. There is a free version and two paid version but it looks so good if you have the cash shell it out. I sound like a promoter -_-"

https://www.lucidchart.com

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#12 Post by dramspringfeald »

Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.