I break themes into these overlapping categories:
Life themes: Following dreams, being yourself, making decisions, depression, revenge, insanity, moving on, independence, friendship, successful relationships
Sci-fi themes: Artificial intelligence, future society, the existence of aliens, the interaction with aliens, space exploration, the end of the world
Social and political themes: Freedom vs. security, democracy, is war justified, tolerating intolerance, privacy, capitalism vs. communism
Philosophical and religious themes: absolute truth, the existence of god, the need of many vs. the rights of few, beauty
I'm best with sci-fi themes and worst with life themes, that's why I'm writing speculative fiction.
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1685
- Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:31 am
- Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
- Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
- Organization: Kitsch-soft
- Location: Illinois, USA
On that note, I really like writing stories with science-fiction themes because they are good at raising philosophical questions.
Social and political themes, by contrast, are usually rather dry and boring to me by comparison. I don't tend to want to write about them unless they seem relevant to the greater philosophical theme that I'm exploring.
- Posts: 211
- Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 5:26 pm
- Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes Of The Codex War, [ASH] the Seeds of Destruction
- Projects: Cult of the Lily (18+)
- Organization: PaperDoor Studios
- Tumblr: paperdoorstudios
- Deviantart: ShojiAmasawa
- Soundcloud: Greyberry
- Location: Cloudbase
I think my weakness is probably science fiction. Sometimes, all of the possibilities of aliens, end of the world, and future societies make me feel overwhelmed.
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:07 pm
- Location: The Land of Wonderzzzz
- Posts: 75
- Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:29 pm
- Projects: Modus Operandi
- Organization: Oceanic Eden Productions
- Location: Outer space
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1078
- Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:31 pm
- Projects: WtRF
- Organization: Harmonic Dreams
- IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
- Deviantart: Emlindes
- Location: England
An entire piece can be social or political commentary without ever bringing up a specific issue, or I might end up in a bipolar soliloquy where I have a philosophical debate between the manic and the depressive side. I may also include some sci-fi or fantasy elements to add some flavor to the setting, but that is pretty rare and even then it is done only to minor effect.
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:25 pm
- Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity
- Location: South Carolina USA
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:58 pm
- Projects: Platonic Adolescence (Filipino VN for adolescents)
- Location: Philippines
I think I'm good with dark themed life themes with the mix of social and political themes.
I tend to create a character that is greedy and manipulative. With a theme of revenge or moving on.
I'm also comfortable with romance since I have a little bit of romantic side in me.
Well, all in all, I'm more confident on life theme.
I think I will never be confident with sci-fi. Dunno why.
80% Programmer, 15% Aspiring Writer, 5% Hentai, 0% Artist and 100% Lazy Bum
Users browsing this forum: No registered users