Question.

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
victoriae350

Question.

#1 Post by victoriae350 »

Whats a fair price for an amateur writer if he or she is looking to be hired to work as a writer for an otome game?

Kianaco
Regular

Re: Question.

#2 Post by Kianaco »

Personally,I wouldn't know,But I would say if you are looking for fairly priced or low priced art work for a game,Head on over to Deviantart.

victoriae350

#3 Post by victoriae350 »

Kianaco wrote:Personally,I wouldn't know,But I would say if you are looking for fairly priced or low priced art work for a game,Head on over to Deviantart.
LOL! I meant what should I charge if someone were to hire me? What would be a fair wage?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

Moved to a more appropriate forum.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

TwilightOfTheSoul
Regular

#5 Post by TwilightOfTheSoul »

Here is my suggestion:

Take what the average unskilled labor makes in your area, and adjust that based on your actual skill/experience (this is pretty subjective, but you should have a rough idea of how skilled you are and how much similarly skilled people make doing a part-time job). Figure out how many words you write on average in an hour on a quality piece.

Then you can use a formula:

quote_price = (words_requested / words_per_hour) * wage_adjusted_to_skill

and voila. The other party may counter the quote with a lower offer, so reverse the formula and see if you are willing to work on the specified project for the wage they are indicating with their counter.

You should generally avoid working for less than what passes as your local minimum wage, even if you aren't confident in your abilities, unless you are doing it because you really want to support the project. If that is the case, communicate that to the people you are negotiating with so they understand that it is an exception and not something they should expect.

If they want to give you a different standard to base off of than word count, then you will probably want to ask them to change the terms. Writing 1 chapter is way too loose of an agreement since a chapter can be 400 words or 400,000 words.

Kianaco
Regular

#6 Post by Kianaco »

victoriae350 wrote:
Kianaco wrote:Personally,I wouldn't know,But I would say if you are looking for fairly priced or low priced art work for a game,Head on over to Deviantart.
LOL! I meant what should I charge if someone were to hire me? What would be a fair wage?
Oh,Sorry ^^;