Need advice on specific plot elements

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Icas

Need advice on specific plot elements

#1 Post by Icas »

Hello!

Although I've known about these forums for a while, this is the first time I've actually posted.
I'm in the process of writing my visual novel, and I'd appreciate feedback and advice on a couple of ideas.

1. Unexplained sci-fi/fantasy element:
Near the start of the visual novel, an enigmatic character gives the protagonist/player an object with seemingly supernatural powers. However, the rest of the plot is void of sci-fi/fantasy elements, the object is non-critical to the plot and is more of a "mood-setter" (or perhaps gameplay element), and the enigmatic character does not reappear and remains unexplained.

2. Breaking the fourth wall:
The player is a separate entity from the protagonist character, and, near the story's climax, the protagonist recognises the player's presence and directly requests assistance in a difficult decision. (Since the visual novel would have multiple endings, this element might only exist in the "true ending.")

Thanks!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Re: Need advice on specific plot elements

#2 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Icas wrote:1. Unexplained sci-fi/fantasy element:
Near the start of the visual novel, an enigmatic character gives the protagonist/player an object with seemingly supernatural powers. However, the rest of the plot is void of sci-fi/fantasy elements, the object is non-critical to the plot and is more of a "mood-setter" (or perhaps gameplay element), and the enigmatic character does not reappear and remains unexplained.
If something in the story doesn't have a real reason to be there, such as: Add to the Plot, Add to the Characters, Add to the Situation, or Add to the Game, it doesn't Belong in the story.
-- CUT IT or give it a Reason to be there.
Icas wrote:2. Breaking the fourth wall:
The player is a separate entity from the protagonist character, and, near the story's climax, the protagonist recognises the player's presence and directly requests assistance in a difficult decision. (Since the visual novel would have multiple endings, this element might only exist in the "true ending.")
This is fine, if done Cleverly.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#3 Post by Haze »

I'm sorry, but this sounds very much like you're using the object as a mere plot device to "set the mood", especially where you say the object isn't really plot relevant. This is probably not a good idea, as people who play your VN will probably wonder "Wait, what about that object from the beginning? It gave the protagonist powers, right? Isn't that kind of important?" As OokamiKasumi said, either give this object more importance or just take it out.
Ooh, this sounds like it could be quite interesting. If you can do it, and do it well, then go ahead.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#4 Post by truefaiterman »

I agree with both OokamiKasumi and Haze.

Also, I've actually seen the 2nd scenario in some visual novels (which I won't mention because giant spoilers).

Now, with that said... if you want the player and the character to be different, and you want to give the player a supernatural item to "set the mood"... how about combining both elements? Perhaps that item it's what differentiate player and character, for example.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

KaenSe4
Regular
Completed: Good Morning Triss (2019), Palette Swap (Nano 16), Fairly Dangerous (Nano 15)
itch: kaense4.itch.io

#5 Post by KaenSe4 »

To be blunt, there are a lot of different options to set the mood without causing as many questions as a mysterious unexplained object. Just restating what OokamiKasumi said, if it doesn't have a reason to be there, your best choice is to not include it.
Breaking the fourth wall is always fun. :) Well, for me at least. Steins;Gate did it well with
the llama game scene with Okabe
. That was probably my first instance of experiencing breaking the fourth wall in a visual novel, and I really liked it. If you could pull this one off and sound legit, I think it would be a huge plus to your visual novel.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#6 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Icas wrote: 1. Unexplained sci-fi/fantasy element:
You could use the sci-fi/fantasy element to enhance the theme of the piece or to tie in to a theme. But if it just comes out of nowhere it could be off putting. Proceed with caution.

I agree with the group about number 2.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Icas

#7 Post by Icas »

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Some of you had particularly interesting things to say. I don't agree with everything you've said, but I'm definitely taking all of your advice into consideration!