Can't write a novel.....

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

Can't write a novel.....

#1 Post by Fenrir34 »

So I have a few projects going in the works but I'm either having horrible writers block or the story just turns out sloppy. I really would like some advice about what might be the best way to write a game. Should I first make an outline or just go with the flow. Opinions very much appreciated :)

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: Can't write a novel.....

#2 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Hello :) I personally like to go with the flow, it just helps me since planning seems like more work (ya I know im lazy >.<)Plus I feel pressured to follow the right plot for the whole story, which makes it stressful and not as fun as it normally would be. But if it helps you, write out what you want to happen in the story. All the main points that are needed, then add in the other parts later. It's totally up to you. I usually use things like PompFiction, and bubbl to help me plan out characters, story, etc. If writers block is messing you up that bad, try taking a break. Read a book, play other visual novels for ideas- that's what I always do~ Hope this helps :)
i'll cry if you yell at me

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#3 Post by Fenrir34 »

silverpikachu99 wrote:Hello :) I personally like to go with the flow, it just helps me since planning seems like more work (ya I know im lazy >.<)Plus I feel pressured to follow the right plot for the whole story, which makes it stressful and not as fun as it normally would be. But if it helps you, write out what you want to happen in the story. All the main points that are needed, then add in the other parts later. It's totally up to you. I usually use things like PompFiction, and bubbl to help me plan out characters, story, etc. If writers block is messing you up that bad, try taking a break. Read a book, play other visual novels for ideas- that's what I always do~ Hope this helps :)

You and I are similar when it comes to writing it seems :) . I like to go with the flow and it usually works for me but when I get like this it's hard for me to write. I'll do what you say and play some other vn or red. Thanks for the advice. I hope I get some inspiration back :?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

Planning a story's always worth it in the end, at least if it's longer than a short story. If you have sloppy stories then planning is the best thing you can do.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#5 Post by Caveat Lector »

You could try writing down the basic ideas you have and then brainstorm from there--think about how it could fit in with the plot, character, themes, etc. If it turns out an idea or character isn't working for an individual story, put it away and save it for another story.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Meneil

#6 Post by Meneil »

When writing longer stories, there are points when I feel like I have 'writer's block' or can't really find a good way to express my idea. Rather than stopping, I just force myself to keep writing for the sake of progress. Later I revisit and re-work the chapter I'm unhappy with. The time and subsequent chapters give me better ideas on how to handle the hard one, too!

Dazed
Completed: Katawa Shoujo, The Dolls' Stories
Projects: Fish & Chicks

#7 Post by Dazed »

I normally just go with the flow rather than write an outline, though I think it's getting me into trouble with some of my bigger projects. I just don't tend to be very good with outlines.

I'm in the midst of some writer's block as well. Grrrr.
New to the forum. Good things to come!....erm, I hope.

M.T.D.G.
Regular
Completed: -SacrifiXi (BxB)-Beta-Love (BxB)-Ivan Berk Dress Up Game-Kiss the Cock (BxG)
Projects: -Death on Holiday (BxG)
Tumblr: mtdg
Deviantart: M-T-D-G
itch: mtdg

#8 Post by M.T.D.G. »

I'm one of those who go with the flow, but I always have a clear idea in my mind. Before I start writing, I know for sure two things:

-the beginning
-the ending

-sometimes, an important twist.

Then I don't write right away, but I try to imagine the story...and I stay imagining for days. If I'm unable to connect the beginning with the ending in a smooth way, then I drop it. Else, I start writing.

At that point I know, more or less, what's the general plot line. I just need to insert in it interesting side events.

Always remember, a good story is made with a good plot and very good characters. Never forget to plan the characters before anything! They are the one who drive the story.

Hope I could be of some help :3
mtdg.tumblr.com (nsfw)

ImageImageImageImageImage

cesullivan
Regular
Completed: Story of Dream Infinite (Open Beta)
Projects: Story of Dream Infinite
Organization: C.E. Sullivan Games

#9 Post by cesullivan »

Depending on what kind of story you want to write, you might want to experiment with a known story telling pattern/formula (like "the hero's journey"). Not saying you have to stick strictly to the formula, though. I think formulas work especially well when you deviate from them...all has to do with messing with people's expectations ;)
"Awake Ublasti, foxy fire goddess...forget love, let's play a Combustion game!"
Story of Dream Infinite dev blog@ http://www.storyofdreaminfinite.wordpress.com | Works in Progress Thread Here
Download Open Beta Version Now at cesullivangames.com/sodi

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#10 Post by Katy133 »

I don't know if there's a perfect piece of advice for everyone. I've heard some writers say that they like to just start writing and see where the story goes, while other writers like to brainstorm/plan out the plot before they begin writing the story. I think it's good to balance between the two techniques: Brainstorm and plan out the story loosely first, then start writing it. You don't have to even write the story in order; just start writing what you want to write first.

Here are a few more suggestions to help get ideas:
- Make mindmaps: Think about a topic you're interested in (or several topics), then brainstorm story ideas around it.
- Try plot prompt or plot generator sites (generally, I personally haven't found these useful)
- Play the "What if" game: Observe life around you and ask questions about these observations.
- Think of stories you really didn't enjoy and ask yourself why you didn't like them/what the story's flaws were. Ask yourself, "What would I have done to make that story good/better/different/less cliched?" and start from there.
- Doodle characters/objects/settings/situations on a piece of scrap paper, then come up with a story based on the doodles that catch your interest (if the paper you use is scraped paper, you'll find yourself less self-critical). Alternatively, write a list of plot/ending ideas on a peice of paper titled "Scrap", and then pick which plot elements you like.
- Plot out your story using post-it notes on a large sheet of paper (with each note having a plot point written on it). That way, you can easily remove/rearrange the different plot points. If you're more digitally-oriented and like writing directly wth a computer, try using Trello or a mindmapping programe as a digital version of post-it notes.