How do you pay your writer?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
SimonLayton
Regular

How do you pay your writer?

#1 Post by SimonLayton »

The topic title says pretty much everything, but this is particularly for paid writers and game developers who pay their writers, unless they're the writer themselves. Anyone can answer, though. I have a short story under consideration in a speculative magazine, and the magazines usually pay cents per word, but I wonder how do paid writers set up their rates here. Do they charge per word or do they make a price per thousand words? Is there a fixed or minimum price?

Also, how do the writers write? In a word processor of their choice or directly in the game script? Do they write side-by-side with the game developer? Do writers hire their own editors or do they work with the team editor too? Are writers limited to a certain amount of words?
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge

Juneberry
Regular
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Deadly Heart

Re: How do you pay your writer?

#2 Post by Juneberry »

I think the way writing works depends on the writer and the VN that you're working on. :) Some writers will go to outside sources for help with editing, but it depends on many things: Did you make the story yourself (is it your own idea)? Did someone hire you, or are you hiring others yourself?

I note right now, I'm a writer. I sometimes edit for people randomly- usually in PMs- just to help out. Usually it's their personal story, that they're getting help with. For me, I usually am getting help with mine too, so naturally, I ask writers to help me sometimes, or other people with skills I need.

I did write for another project however that was a story that wasn't mine. In that case, I sent the writing after I was told what was needed to the person in charge. They already had someone to look at it afterward, so I didn't need to look. But that was just a single situation. It really does depend on the writer, the team, and many other things. :/

As for how you pay, that depends on the team too. A lot of the time if it's a paid project, you'll pay a percentage similar to an artist, depending on the situation- or you can give them aid with one of your own skills. Or it's a free job and they're just helping out?

Sorry if this isn't much help, but it basically is depends on the situation. Personally, I tend to write in a simple manner: I write, they pay what they feel its worth if I'm getting paid- or if it's a kickstarter, it's a percentage of some sort. So...Sorta simple for me? But usually I'm writing for free projects or my own work so...

Raithfyre
Regular
Completed: Highway Blossoms, Heart of the Woods
Projects: Highway Blossoms: Next Exit, Samayuuni, ???
Organization: Studio Élan
IRC Nick: raithfyre
Tumblr: considerrewordingthis

#3 Post by Raithfyre »

Pay is generally done on a per-word basis, yes, though per-thousand-words would work too - just seems unnecessarily complicated, to me. When I write for pay, I usually charge 1.5-2 cents per word of finished draft, so that means anything after editing.

Word processor would be, I assume, the most common tool used. I personally prefer Google Docs, for cloud functionality and for how easy it makes collaboration, but really, it just comes down to personal preference. I'm usually given a prompt or a scene description, and then I write out everything in a prose format, similar to what I'm doing right here. Sometimes/some writers will write in a script format so that the text can be more easily copied into Ren'Py, but I don't believe it's a majority who does that. And lastly, editors usually vary from team to team, rather than being associated with a particular writer. I do have friends to whom I'll often send my work and get feedback, regardless of the associated project, but I'm hesitant to call them "my" editor(s).

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#4 Post by Starshine »

I remember when i did a google search somewhere around 2012 and i came across this website:
https://www.freelancer.co.uk/

(But personally i think it would cost alot of money to hire one... so it would probably be best to make your own story, or work in a group)
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?