How do you write your script?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
astrokeofmadness
Regular
Completed: AAA:Book 1
Projects: A Stroke of Apprehension

How do you write your script?

#1 Post by astrokeofmadness »

I've been writing for the visual novel I'm working on, and realized I'm probably being horrible inefficient with my methods...Which is likely hurting my writing as well...

I have been writing entirely directly in renpy, with coding as I go. I have been doing it this way because I am unsure how to effectively transfer a script to renpy, and dread having to add quotations and name tags on every line. it also helps be ensure I actually write it in VN format instead of just writing a story.

But I ask you guys, do you have any tips on how best to get the story rolling? Is it just me being lazy that's the problem?

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: How do you write your script?

#2 Post by Ran08 »

Well, it's possible that you're just lazy, or, it could also be that you're having problems with the story itself, which could lead to writer's block. I've had both problems, so I'm speaking from experience. :D

Maybe you should try writing an outline? Not just any old outline, though, but a really detailed one that will look more like a summary of your work. Whether or not you'll end up following it in the end, it's gonna be a huge help. Swear. If you find yourself mentally blocked with your writing, you can just take a look at your summarized outline and it can totally help you get back on track. :)

Anyway, I don't think there's anything wrong with writing while coding, as that's exactly how I do it! :) I write the script and code everything-- including the sprites at the same time. :D That is, unless if the sprites aren't there yet, of course. :D

Good luck with your work! :D I'm sure you'll get over this phase soon! ^^

Saitoki1582
Regular
Completed: Fluff Hood's Adventure, The Halloween Night
Projects: Mechanoid

#3 Post by Saitoki1582 »

That is a pretty interesting question. I'm also curious how other write their script.

I'm a newbie myself, and I write my script mostly directly into the editor. I find it easier to add code of how scene change, how sprite appear, which expression they make when I write the scene itself. Unlike writing story, description of scene and character appearance are usually not included for each scene because they are expressed through image instead. So I find it a pain to write each scene dialog, then put them into Ren'Py and have to read through them all over to remember how I envisioned the scene to add the code in again.

The down side of this is it's impossible to test the game in Ren'Py before you have the art asset, when scene and sprite are already coded in. I ended up drawing asset as writing go, which is a pretty stupid thing to do but I couldn't help it.

The more productive way should probably be writing script > draw asset> code both script and asset into the game. But I find it really hard not to jump between writing and drawing when you do solo. :wink:

SinSisters
Regular
Completed: The Spanish Privateer
Projects: The Spanish Privateer
Tumblr: sinsisters
itch: sinsisters

#4 Post by SinSisters »

I write and script for my VN (like you guys), but I prefer writing into word.
Pros: Nicer appearance, you can spot typos, typically better for a workflow I found.
Cons: Basic coding [me "\"I am talking.\""] is simple and easy to do, but when it comes to something that requires actual code, I go #transitiontocampsite or something like that to edit later. Another big one is tab. Tabbing in Word =\= the four spaces for Ren'py. This is really easy to fix by going to "Find and Replace" and replacing Word Tabs with Ren'py Tabs, or you can do what I do (which is more difficult, maybe), and simple Copy the four spaces and go Ctrl+V before every line.

But yeah, I could tell right away that trying to code normal writing would just be a pain in the butt. So I have 5 documents (Main Script, PathA.script, PathB.script, PathC.script, and PathD.script) and copy them into their separate script files that Ren'py can use.

As for trying to get the ball rolling, a Google search will yield plenty of results. Personally, I can go through the first 100 pages of a story no problem (in terms of a typical novel sized with your average pages), it's at the point that I stop. Make sure you like your story. Make sure you're happy with it. I'm always anxious to introduce my characters and start developing the plot, so that helps me.

-Nat

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

Writing an outline is very, very important, you should really have a detailed outline before starting any story. It's like a building's foundation, without it the building itself will collapse or at the very least turn into the leaning tower of Pisa.

With an outline you should easily be able to get the story rolling since you know exactly what should be happening.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#6 Post by Laiska »

I write my scripts directly into the script editor, because I also loathe the thought of having to post-edit in all the code after I've done my writing (for one; also I honestly prefer the look of fixed-width text, it's easier on the eyes!). Generally speaking I start off with just dialogue and basic formatting like {i}italics{/i}, as well as any conditional statements I'm going to need, and any $variables and menus to create the appropriate scene jumps, so that I know how the story is going to flow.

I sometimes outline this, but if I'm writing as I go, I'll put placeholders in for every menu option and then fill them in one at a time, going forward and back in the script as needed. If I don't know what code I will need for a scene yet, I will just make a note of it (e.g. "#raise Tiffany affection") and move on.

Once the basic text of the scene is finished, I worry about the graphics, choreographing the sprites and matching their expressions to the words. This is also the step where I check to see if everything is properly coded as best as I can get it. Then I run through the compiled scene in-game and make sure everything works and flows as it should.

This, of course, is only the technical aspect. As far as the creative process, I am definitely a serial "pantser" as they say (writing by the seat of your pants). I get an idea of what I want for a scene in my head, and run through the scenarios, envisioning roughly how it will play out, writing down anything particularly key that I won't want to forget, and then I just let the rest come to me as I write. This works for some people and not others. If you're the sort who does better with structure, I would recommend, as Ran says, writing a detailed outline for your scene/story before writing, as even if you throw out half of what you planned, you've had a chance to think critically about it beforehand. If you choose not to do this, just don't get discouraged by the lulls in creativity. Keep writing through the scene, even if it's seeming like garbage. You can always edit it later, and you're sure to get some unpolished gems out of it anyway.

Sorry if that was a bit rambly, hope it helps!

PaupauSenpai
Regular
Projects: The Color of Life

#7 Post by PaupauSenpai »

Also, if you like writing in the code while writing out the story but feel it's impossible to do so without art, many people put placeholders for the art until they acquire it. ^^
Current Project:
The Color of Life, a slice-of-life otome game with a hint of fantasy, dreamworlds...and bunny and kitty boys.
Link to the WIP thread here

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#8 Post by thebackup »

I just write it into Word (splitting the routes across documents), then transfer it to code. I don't like being distracted with code while writing the story. It's not that hard transferring it anyway, although it's tedious. Plus Word's got all those nice editing features (especially comparing different versions of documents).

You do have to be mindful of Word's smart quotes, though ('curly' vs 'straight quotes').

That's just me. Go whatever you feel comfortable with. :)

Lexer

#9 Post by Lexer »

I don't work with Ren'py but I used to work in ONScripter back when I was trying to make VNs.

I found that writing in a stage play manuscript format makes it easy to transfer to code and lets me better visualize how the scenes work. It's a lot better than if I wrote in a short story prose or novella format.

I wouldn't want to write directly into the code as I'm making the story though. I find the code parts distracting and tends to ruin my flow. It's hard enough to get into the flow already.

Here's a sample of the format I prefer. Scroll down to page 8 on the pdf to see the sample.
http://ptfaculty.gordonstate.edu/lking/ ... tting2.pdf

breadslam
Regular
Tumblr: breadslam

#10 Post by breadslam »

I write it all into Ren'Py because I'm the coolest kid on the block. Also, it keeps me on task by breaking up writing with basic coding.

#11 Post by 171 »

Like what SundownKid said, outline is important.
To me, writing a script spontaneously is like putting a bet. You still can make good stories, but the chances are slim because it does not have a basis. Therefore, I think that it's better for you to make an outline before you write a script.

Shaples
Regular
Completed: Christmas Sweaters
Projects: White Lie, Tropichu!

#12 Post by Shaples »

I'm currently writing my first VN, but I think I've found a setup that works for me. At the suggestion of a few different people on the forums here, I outlined my story and all the branching options in yEd before getting started. I do my actual script writing (with code) in Scrivener. I've been using Scrivener for years for novel writing, but I found that the script writing and auto complete/suggested complete functions make it surprisingly easy to code as you go. I have to be a little more alert for spacing errors that are easier to see when you write directly into Ren'Py, but Scrivener catches spelling and grammar mistakes that Ren'Py doesn't. Scrivener also lets you break up text into separate chunks in the same file, so it's easier to keep scenes separate and organized while you're still working instead of having one massive wall of text. I basically made each piece of my outline a text block in a Scrivener document, put it all in order, and am filling it in one scene at a time. It's also pretty easy to copy/paste individual chunks of code into Ren'Py to check your work at regular intervals to make sure you haven't messed something up.

RotGtIE
Veteran

#13 Post by RotGtIE »

The first draft of everything is garbage. I could never trust myself to write directly into the final product.

I use WriteMonkey. Most word processors are too heavy duty for the literary vomit I spew onto my monitor. That, and I like to pretend I'm working on a Tandy 400. Good times.

ArachneJericho
Regular
Projects: Kaguya Hime
Tumblr: mousedeerproductions

#14 Post by ArachneJericho »

I like the Scrivener and script approach, it's very flexible. Scenes can become index cards in corkboard mode and you can move them around and that's wonderful.

However, I've been experimenting with using Twine, and the ability to form connections has been invaluable when plotting a non-linear story with choices that call back to others. (So far my story is more like a graph than like a tree, but I expect it to straight out into a tree soon, or else it's going to be a headache.) Twine also lets you do some very, very basic coding, so if variables become an important part of your script, they're there without interrupting flow like full-out Ren'py code would.

(I keep wondering if I should release the Twine document for chapter 1 of Kaguya Hime. It might be informative.)

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

#15 Post by Boomsickle »

I tend to write down focal points that i want to happen than start connecting them. I mostly use Notepad and WordPad due to not being bothered to get something better. Than i just copy pasta onto renpy and add the code in either manually or copy pasta. As they say "If it ain't broke".