Escalating the story to quickly and/or to slowly?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
lilyrose
Regular

Escalating the story to quickly and/or to slowly?

#1 Post by lilyrose »

Well I've been working on a game for a while and when I first started planning it was supposed to be a short sweet game of some sort but as I started working on it the story grew and got more complex ^.^'. But I keep running into the same problem. It seemed like the whole beginning part of my story was rushed. The intro to the characters and the story plot escalated too quickly. So I tried to slow it down and split it up in different sections.

Example: instead of when meeting a character and having them tell you who they are and what they're about breaking it down and start learning more about that as the game progresses.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I slowed it down to much?? So generally my question is how do you know if you're moving your game along to fast or too slow?
~ You know I used to be able to leap tall buildings using a jetpack? Then I got shot in the leg with an arrow T.T ~

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Escalating the story to quickly and/or to slowly?

#2 Post by fleet »

". . . how do you know if you're moving your game along to fast or too slow?"

Have a couple of friends look at it, and get their opinions.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#3 Post by ketskari »

Read it out loud. This can be helpful for spotting problems with the pacing.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#4 Post by OokamiKasumi »

fleet wrote:Have a couple of friends look at it, and get their opinions.
Fleet is absolutely right. The only way to tell for sure if your pacing is too fast or slow is by using test-players. I bribe threaten strong arm have several friends play my games. Because they are Not gamers, their attention spans are considerably shorter and they are far less forgiving if something annoys them.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#5 Post by Mad Harlequin »

OokamiKasumi wrote:I bribe threaten strong arm have several friends play my games.
You're so funny!

But I must add a word of caution to the advice you're getting, lilyrose:

No matter who it is that sees your work, be sure it's somebody you can trust to be honest, even if that means you may receive less-than-flattering feedback. I know some people will say that friends are always going to be honest, but that isn't the case.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

lilyrose
Regular

#6 Post by lilyrose »

OokamiKasumi wrote:I bribe threaten strong arm have several friends play my games.
Hahaha! Getting my friends to read my work may take similar means of bribery threats persuasion.

Mad Harlequin: Thank you and sadly it's very true. I'll pick who I ask wisely. :)
~ You know I used to be able to leap tall buildings using a jetpack? Then I got shot in the leg with an arrow T.T ~

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#7 Post by SundownKid »

Make an outline... its super important. If you don't have an outline then go back and make one and adjust the story to match the outline. Otherwise your pacing will be all off. It's like building a skyscraper without a foundation first.