Convenient method for spellchecking?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Convenient method for spellchecking?

#16 Post by trooper6 »

Laiska wrote:
trooper6 wrote:I do open Editra through Ren'Py, what might I be doing wrong?
Do you use a Mac? I don't think the Spellcheck is built into Mac Editra, because I've never been able to find it. And it seems like installing the extension is a massive hassle.
Yep, I'm on a Mac. At least I know I'm not crazy. So, I suppose this means I'll be sticking with extracting dialogue and spellchecking with Word.nthanks for the info Laiska.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#17 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Ozitiho wrote:Yeah, I plan to pay someone who thinks they're really good at english to check it out when it's done. But even then I've no doubt there'll still be a few errors in it. Somehow they always escape...
There's a difference between thinking you're good at something and actually being skilled at it. Sometimes there's an overlap, but not always.

Yes, there is the potential for human error when editing, but that's why consulting more than one person is a good idea. Attentive beta testers will catch stray typos.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#18 Post by Alte »

I use a separate text editor to handle spellchecks and troubleshoot coding errors.

Notepad++ (Windows)
Spell checker is built-in (requires Aspell)
Oftentimes I used Notepad++ to open a wide range of files, .rpy (Python) files is no exception.
It does help me find minor errors that I might have overlook.
Notepad++ can be Configured for Ren'Py v6.6.9
Note: Spell checker does not distinguish between text and code

TextWrangler (Mac)
While I'm not a Mac user, I searched for a text editor with a built-in spell checker.
It's free to use and it's able to open up Python files.
You can find a list of features here.

I encourage to have the story proofread before programming. It would save time, in my opinion.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.