First Impression

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: First Impression

#16 Post by trooper6 »

Kailoto wrote:
trooper6 wrote:
Kailoto wrote: I'm not much for BDSM either, but I can understand that there's people out there who do like it, and they can do their own thing. There's a lot of stuff I don't like or don't agree with in the world, but I try to accept or tolerate most of it. Just because I believe (or refuse to believe) in something doesn't mean it's an absolute truth.
Side Note: 50 Shades is not a good example of BDSM...at all.
Oh no, I understand that. Just like Twilight isn't a great example of vampires.
But I thought Bram Stoker had always intended Vampires to be sparkly? No?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#17 Post by truefaiterman »

Bram Stoker's Dracula definetely wanted to sparkle. And going to college for decades, too!

Jokes aside, if you want those guys on your story to be romanceable, I'd go for the third choice: Jerk with a heart of gold!
Present them as as***les at first, but don't take too long to show their good side, too, so the player knows there's something hidden inside them. If not, give them cats. Clint Eastwood only needed a few cats to be labeled as the "Good" guy in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#18 Post by Kailoto »

truefaiterman wrote:If not, give them cats. Clint Eastwood only needed a few cats to be labeled as the "Good" guy in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
...My God, you're right, that does always work.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

ladynamoru
Regular
Deviantart: ladynamoru

#19 Post by ladynamoru »

@Kailoto and Trooper6 *HUGS*

many many thanks!!! ^_^

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#20 Post by Fox Lee »

Late to the party, but if you still want opinions: Not everybody has to be nice guys, but the writer needs to be more careful with jerks. I don't mind a guy being introduced as standoffish or tsundere, but there's a line between that and being a jerk with no sign of redeeming features. If a guy is emotionally distant, or awkward and doesn't know how to deal with affection, that can be quite appealing; I might want to know what that guy's deal is. If he's really aggressively standoffish, then I won't bother with him.

Either way, if a guy is a jerk to MC and I'm supposed to get to like him in the end, then he has to be the one makes an effort to fix it - or, at the very least, the story needs to show me something that demonstrates why he might deserve forgiveness. If neither of those things happen, I'm going to assume the guy is an asshole and I don't need his romance path.

OTOH... if a guy asserts himself physically over the MC in his intro, I will probably stop playing the game. I've seriously lost count how many otome games I've ditched because some supposed "romance" option felt entitled to touch, manhandle or kiss the female MC without her giving the slightest hint of interest or permission, or me being able to do anything to stop it. Yuck.
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

ladynamoru
Regular
Deviantart: ladynamoru

#21 Post by ladynamoru »

Welcome to the thread for the otome ver of the game
I love my chars equally so I want my little devils to be likable...(that is my main concern on my previous threads)
They aren't entirely evil (unlike me who is more evil than good)
Actually since this is the Otome ver. the evilness is toned down a bit
Fox Lee wrote: OTOH... if a guy asserts himself physically over the MC in his intro, I will probably stop playing the game. I've seriously lost count how many otome games I've ditched because some supposed "romance" option felt entitled to touch, manhandle or kiss the female MC without her giving the slightest hint of interest or permission, or me being able to do anything to stop it. Yuck.
Dont worry im NOT fond of 50 shades of gray or anything close to that(Yes, I said it again)

But I did create some....uncommon endings that I doubt you will get on the first run or even on the second run