Names for altered humans.

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Enigma
Veteran

Names for altered humans.

#1 Post by Enigma »

So I was working on my game and writing some NPC dialouge since it's an RPG. I wanted to put a little lore in there related to why there are so many characters with unsual appearences or animal characteristics. Then I came across a problem, I didn't know what to call them. I tried to imagine someone walking up to someone on the street and calling them a demihuman or a mutant and well that didn't sound quite right when I say it outloud and I can imagine the characters objecting too those terms, not to mention demihuman is kinda misleading (since these people are still human) and mutant might get me into trouble with FOX (not entirely sure but I know marvel can't use the word mutant in their films). I thought about ripping off RWBY and using Faunus but it's misleading too since animal characteristics aren't the only things someone might end up with (like there's a character with a body of living fire). Thanks in advance for anyone that helps.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Names for altered humans.

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I would think you would still be able to use the word mutant...I mean it is a real word.

However, if you are concerned, what about chimera or changeling or otherkin or transformed?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Enigma
Veteran

#3 Post by Enigma »

trooper6 wrote:I would think you would still be able to use the word mutant...I mean it is a real word.

However, if you are concerned, what about chimera or changeling or otherkin or transformed?
I think it'd actually sound a bit odd walking up to someone and calling them a mutant, and I'm not entirely sure about acutally using the term since the concepts are kinda similar and well FOX is crazy. I do think the idea behind the characters is a little closer to the inhumans since they're not supposed to be a metaphor and are more an excuse for being able to design characters an way I want, I'd rather not use the term.

As for otherkin, the term Otherkind is used to refer to the monsters in the game and they have a completely different set of characteristics.

HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

#4 Post by HiddenCreature »

I'd invent a new term to use for your story. People make up names all the time in stories.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

Let me just say that mutant is definitely not a copyrighted term. It can definitely be used anywhere without concern of referring to the X-men or whatnot.

Enigma
Veteran

#6 Post by Enigma »

After some thought I am temporarially using the term Sprite. THanks for the help everyone.