How to implement multiple flag-system?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
CrazyHussar
Projects: Ever Wished Life
Organization: Mooncaller Studio

How to implement multiple flag-system?

#1 Post by CrazyHussar »

Hello guys!

A month ago started making my own VN, getting used to the Ren'Py SDK but I found a little problem - well, it's not really kind of problem with the engine but my skills. I don't know how to implement a multiple flag-system. It'll be not a kinetic novel and I wan't to give more flexibility to te users hand. With only one flag-system might be no problem at all, but I had a tought to make a two if not three flag system to the game. Apart from the story's event flags, I want to make for the main characer's behavior what affects the possible routes.

The game in nutshell: it will be a game in a fictional world's kingdom what, well, accidentally got into a war then fell. The main character are a member of the royal guard and his duty to defend the princess and retake the kingdom in seven chapters. Thus not all of the kingdom captured by the "evil empire", just the capital and the middle of the country. The outer counties got independent but yet loyal to the kingdom - in the seven chapters, the royal family must reunite the counties, negotiate with the neighboring kingdoms and with an united force, retake the capital and seize the order. A little political-fictional fantasy novel.

The preparations are done: we created a brand new and individual language, built the most of the lore, 4 of the 7 chapters are over 90% (waiting for tuning) and still waiting for its English translations.

The multiple flag-system is neccesary for build up the main character' behavior what triggers the potential romance and story event routes. For example: if the main character is triggered in the behavior-system nationalist flags, he can't make to the romantic route in the third chapter whats located in a hold where the most of the locals are from other countries - and can't trigger a story event flag what brings the story to a neighbouring kingdom.

TLDR: I would like to see some examples for games with multiple flag-systems or short script codes what based in the same thing.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: How to implement multiple flag-system?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

CrazyHussar
Projects: Ever Wished Life
Organization: Mooncaller Studio

Re: How to implement multiple flag-system?

#3 Post by CrazyHussar »

Yes, it will, thanks!
Might took a few days to implement and watch the effects but I think that was I looking for.