Dynamics of characterization

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
ChillTaco
Regular

Dynamics of characterization

#1 Post by ChillTaco »

So recently Ive started playing VNs other than the Attorney series.... It hasn't been going well. I was looking for examples on how to write various types, but I never ran into writing that felt so forced. Most characters are one dimensional, and the main character is usually laughably shallow And has 0 personality.

The best Ive ran into was the game Cinders, it had some pretty good focus, another one that was decent had somthing to do with a blue haired rocker chick and classical music. For the life of me I cant remember its name.

I wanted to play some written for dudes, but those turned out to be something worse. Its like the writers never met a real woman in their life.

Ive been sorting through my thoughts, Mostly on how to make a good main character without gutting it for the sake of choice. How would you do it? A kn is out of the picture, cause I could just make a comic instead.

RotGtIE
Veteran

Re: Dynamics of characterization

#2 Post by RotGtIE »

It's difficult to focus on corrections to unspecified source material. What exactly did you read and have a problem with? If we don't know your frame of reference, we can only give generic advice.

ChillTaco
Regular

#3 Post by ChillTaco »

I skimmed through a lot, cant remember the names of most. Those I remember and hated, I felt if written in the initial post, would offend the devs. Sides, my reviews on the massive crap stack I went though would be lengthy as faaku.

Ozitiho
Regular

#4 Post by Ozitiho »

The game with you were thinking of in DEARDROPS btw. It's pretty popular, I think. But good VN's aren't that hard to come by if you know where to look. You must have gotten unlucky. You could try the VN guide /vg/ made, pretty much all of the VNs on that list are amazing.

But making your main character dynamic in player choices doesn't mean you have to make him void of personality. It just means you have to make up options you can excuse your main character doing. Which actually means you need a good main character.