Derisive criticism of your work online...?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Re: Derisive criticism of your work online...?

#31 Post by Caveat Lector »

Yeah, this x 1000 to everything tfm and RossFellow are saying. I see absolutely nothing offensive or abusive about the review for Kaitlyn in Chinaland posted here. They're not attacking the creator as a person. They're not being derogatory. They're just being honest about their opinion in a way that's not sugar-coated. They're criticizing the work, not the person. A critique of the art /=/ critique of the person. Critics don't deserve to have their opinion shouted down just because it's not popular or not what the creator wants to hear.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#32 Post by Katta »

Being blunt and being rude isn't the same as being right in some points and not being the troll. But ofc everyone can have their own opinion, mine is that it's better not to react at all at times (heh, easier said than done since I'm still here) than react offended or defensive.

ThisIsNoName
Veteran

#33 Post by ThisIsNoName »

Caveat Lector wrote:Critics don't deserve to have their opinion shouted down just because it's not popular or not what the creator wants to hear.
But at the same time, criticism shouldn't be viewed as some sacred art form that must never be questioned or opposed.
I mean, let's just call it like it is: this was just a half-assed criticism meant more to make the youtuber to feel smart than to have any sort of meaningful commentary. Half of the comments are nothing more than "What the Fuck?", rather than bringing attention to what is wrong or how it could be improved.

I think one thing that might help LeonDayDreamer is just to realize that they aren't alone in making mistakes. One of my favorite series on youtube is the "Everything Wrong With... " series by CinemaSins. They take movies like the Lord of the Rings movies (generally considered to be one of the greatest fantasy trilogies of all time), Mad Max: Fury Road (one of the greatest action movies of the last decade), and even classics like The Wizard of Oz, and completely tear them apart and show how even great movies can have outright silly mistakes. It's gotten me to look a lot more critically at movies, while retaining their entertainment value.

Vogue
Regular
Completed: SC2VN
Projects: Don't Forget Our eSports Dream

#34 Post by Vogue »

It helps to recognize that there's a certain segment of youtubers that view visual novels as fodder for jokes (like the guy you linked). They download the games to lambaste them, not to examine them critically. Separating these people out from those who actually gave your work a chance can help you focus in on what your audience really thinks.