Proof Reading

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

Proof Reading

#1 Post by MoonByte »

So out of curiosity:
How often do you proof read?
How regulary do you ask others to proof read (either script or during the game)?
What are you looking for while doing it? Grammar, Spelling, choice of words?

Since I am no mother tongue, I usually end up proof reading MY WHOLE SCRIPT once every three days as a habit. I always find something that I had misspelled, where I forgot a letter ("She saw through the windo and thought about rain.") or had went into higher and lower case as is common in german language and where I have to manually write everything small to fix it.
I also often rewrite sentences since I of course evolve the characters while writing, noticing quirks, habits and ticks that I wasn't aware of at the beginning and thus add them afterwards to make it consistent.

I actually DON'T enjoy having others proof read.
Once I reached the point where I can make a demo, people of course read everything and judge and tell me. I take that to heart as well, but I tend to not ask people specifically to look through everything (unless it is a very relevant university paper where I bother my friend from Los Angeles xD).
But I am curious about how others feel about it.

And maybe add your mothertongue as well, so it is clear if some of cour proof reading habits may or may not come from writing in a foreign language :)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Proof Reading

#2 Post by fleet »

When I first start to make a VN I will ask one near and dear to me her thoughts on the story idea and characters. I use a word processor program with spell check when I'm writing the dialog and narrative. When I have a Beta version finished I will ask that same near and dear person to be to play the VN and identify any spelling, grammar, punctuation, word choices or other errors. This person also identifies any discontinuities in the story (such as anachronisms). I will then release a Beta to select persons to play the game and provide feedback not limited to spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.