Editors- How do you prefer to edit a story?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Fluxx
Regular
Projects: Magnificent//Omniversal Love, Nature's Kingdom
Organization: Natural Freedom
IRC Nick: Fluxx
Tumblr: superfunspacejam

Editors- How do you prefer to edit a story?

#1 Post by Fluxx »

Would you rather read it through the renpy file or a txt document? Also for you experienced writers, which one do you pick often when giving the editor your story?
CURRENT PROJECTS (Ongoing)
Nature's Kingdom - A Girl Wishes for Utopia -
Web Novel that takes place in the same universe as Magnificent//Omniversal Love.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: Editors- How do you prefer to edit a story?

#2 Post by namastaii »

I've done both. But if the editor has good knowledge of renpy itself, it'd be even better to give them the .rpy version of the text so they can see exactly where it goes and where but it shouldn't honestly make too much of a difference. It may be easier to find spelling errors just with a regular text file to look at but it'd be faster overall just to give them .rpy to edit so you can replace the text easier. You know...I don't know. I guess it really depends on preference. I think asking the editor what they prefer would be best :)

MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

#3 Post by MoonByte »

I always, ALWAYS stay in editor.
I honestly don't see why I should use txt anyway.
If I proof read, then using the editor helps me not only check for grammar and spelling errors, but for code errors as well, since they color certain things (such as "and" or "layer"). That way, I can check literally everything, the text and the code underneath it instead of having to invest two rows of checking. If any code slips by, I will get an error and cen specifically look it up, but I rarely have an issue with that, simply because I regulary check it before even having a first playtest run.

Regarding the editor itself, I usually just stay with Editra.
But I occassionally work in Notepad++, simply because I am used to that one as well from working in Unity. But I wouldn't say that one is better than the other. Notepad++ has the advantage of filling up (as in, I type "la" and it instantly offers me suggestions for what I am looking for), but especially when I am writing "in the (narrative) zone", I find that more disturbing than anything and go to Editra. If I am working purely on code without any narrative value, then I usually enjoy it though.

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

#4 Post by FonaCall »

For me, the document type depends on the writer, really. I mean, what do they prefer writing in? I try to work with that.

Currently, I'm working with writers who aren't that good with programming, so I've been receiving documents like .doc, .odt, and .rtf for me to edit. Plus, one of them is having me work on the light novel version, and not the game script, so I don't think a script file would be sensible.

For game scripts, I do try to consider if the programmer will be able to easily put all the text and instructions into the code. As much as possible, I try to write it into a script-type format.

With our own stories, though, we check while we write, so I don't really have to submit anything to an editor.

- Piet
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas

Selebus
Regular
Soundcloud: user-92101212

#5 Post by Selebus »

I personally prefer editing text files instead of the actual Ren'Py scripts. I do all of my writing in Microsoft Word and then run it through Google Docs so Grammarly can pick up any minor mistakes I've made.
After simple base editing of the script, I like to do a quick playthrough and ensure that everything seems realistic and rolls off the tongue well (Is this something a person would actually say? Would it better off to use X here instead of Y?) -- things of that nature.

But, like others are saying, it depends on the writer.

Writer/Actor.
Nothing is Beautiful (Psychological/Romance) Demo Available Now! - https://djnostyle.itch.io/nothing-is-beautiful
2019 Character Demo - https://soundcloud.com/user-92101212/dj ... ation-demo
Writing/acting samples available on request!

seacowsoda
Completed: Just Another Day in Paradise; 1931: Scheherazade at the Library of Pergamum
Tumblr: seacowsoda

#6 Post by seacowsoda »

The absolute best-case scenario for me is the ren'py script, but commenting on any choices or gameplay elements being added in.

This is so I can follow what's going on as little bit better, and help catch any problems with the scripting.

For example, if a variable is being stored, I'd like to know what they're storing, and when they are planning to use it later. Like if they want to store whether the player has collected a certain number of bullets:

$ bullet_store += 1

# adding 1 bullet, contributes to which ending they get

it's really helpful!!

Barring that, a .txt file of just the script and little notes about any implementation they need is perfect.

I prefer not to work with .doc or any other files because of all the find and replace of apostrophes and such, but I can work with that too. :)

The hardest thing for me, though, is knowing when NOT to edit. If you're working with multiple writers, you want the tone/style to be consistent throughout the game, but you also want to respect your writers' work, so it's a delicate balance.
Member of tripeLLLe | Writer/Coder/Mechanics Designer for Just Another Day in Paradise | Writer/Editor for Scheherazade