Antagonist as a Love interest?!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
camry81722
Projects: Everlasting Hope
Tumblr: cammy81722
Deviantart: cammy81722

Antagonist as a Love interest?!

#1 Post by camry81722 »

So I'm sitting here writing up my characters and I had a weird idea to give my antagonist a love interest path as well. Does anyone think this is too predictable and done too much or is it still workable in the world of visual novels ? I'm open to any critique involved here. ^_^ Thank you for your time!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Antagonist as a Love interest?!

#2 Post by SundownKid »

It's my belief that there's no such thing as "too predictable" a plot turn as long as the story is written well. Dismissing things as "too predictable" really means "I dont think I can handle it in a way that isn't predictable". That's a question to ask yourself, rather than other people.

So if you want to do something, just do it, but avoid ways it could be predictable. ...I'm not really sure what the tropes are since I don't play a lot of dating sims, but if you do know them then try to avoid or subvert them.

camry81722

#3 Post by camry81722 »

SundownKid wrote:It's my belief that there's no such thing as "too predictable" a plot turn as long as the story is written well. Dismissing things as "too predictable" really means "I dont think I can handle it in a way that isn't predictable". That's a question to ask yourself, rather than other people.

So if you want to do something, just do it, but avoid ways it could be predictable. ...I'm not really sure what the tropes are since I don't play a lot of dating sims, but if you do know them then try to avoid or subvert them.
hmm I see your point thank you for your opinion ^_^

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#4 Post by JBShields »

I'd totally read that. It's sexy in a way, IF done right.

Two examples where this works:

1) DotKareshi3 (a Japanese VN)

I honestly think they could have done the villain love interest MUCH stronger, but that's my opinion

and

an e-book: Even Villains fall in love. http://www.amazon.com/Even-Villains-Fal ... B00YHMQAH4

Although this is written from his pov and he already has gotten his love interest. Honestly I cannot remember how racy (or not) this book is, so if it is--sorry!!

Btw, does anyone know either any good VNs or books with an antagonist love interest?

camry81722

#5 Post by camry81722 »

JBShields wrote:I'd totally read that. It's sexy in a way, IF done right.

Two examples where this works:

1) DotKareshi3 (a Japanese VN)

I honestly think they could have done the villain love interest MUCH stronger, but that's my opinion

and

an e-book: Even Villains fall in love. http://www.amazon.com/Even-Villains-Fal ... B00YHMQAH4

Although this is written from his pov and he already has gotten his love interest. Honestly I cannot remember how racy (or not) this book is, so if it is--sorry!!

Btw, does anyone know either any good VNs or books with an antagonist love interest?
Personally I loved the antagonist path in frozen essence by unbroken hours http://unbrokenhours.com/fe/ I know of another i really liked if I think of it I'll definitely be sure to let you know

MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

#6 Post by MoonByte »

Honestly?
I can't remember a lot of games with a villian having a romance PATH. They either had a lover or not (except for when that path is with the MC, I've seen variations with that).
So I personally wouldn't expect it anyway when starting the game.
Obviously, everything can become predictable when done badly, so if the players will catch up on it or not depends greatly on your writing skill and idea of narration. I would say, the most important thing about that would especially be: WHY do you want them to have a romance path? Like, what does the game gain from it? Is it making the villain more sympathetic? Or is he/she becoming stronger by having someone to fight for/with? Because if you know the motivation of the villain, you can probably write the thing better as well.
If the villain is fighting to protect their love, they will hide the person (making it more surprising) and may turn more violent in that path.

Even though it is flaunted into your face in the very prologue and not exactly a "path, I for example would mention "Vampires Dawn".
A already violent vampire falls in love with a human woman and goes into a bloody rampage when she gets killed, only to turn tragic about her death. Seeing that he spends most of the game insulting you and acting all high and mighty, having seen him like that gave him a very "human" side which kept me from truly hating him.
Which was probably the intention in how he and his love was presented.

So the question really is:
Why should the villain get a lover? What do you want to do with that path? How does it change the villain, their motivation and actions? How does the lover change them that a mother or child could not?
If you are clear about that, you can think about the presentation, how to avoid clichés and keep it inconspicuous until you want to reveal the path.

karenbubblegum
Tumblr: sillyllamabread

#7 Post by karenbubblegum »

Antagonists are often underdeveloped - so if there's something to give that character a bit more complexity - like a romantic interest - then it's to go for!
Welcome to the Omni world.