No space for characters in plot

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
morg
Regular
Projects: Cupid's Affair
Tumblr: n-morg

No space for characters in plot

#1 Post by morg »

to give you an overview of the story so far, i'm writing a visual novel where the player takes the role of a sorcerer-in-making, the whole plot revolves around you learning magic step by step. sometimes you will need to solve the townsfolk's problems, other times it's doing research, etc. the problem here is that I don't know where I'd put any characters, and so far I have about four NPCs just following her around in her travels with no certain objective and it's pretty obvious that they don't have a place in the plot.
so far I have,
Two Guards
A Girl to assist her in magic (this role can't be changed or replaced)
A Third guy and Second girl I have no role for
this is a problem since I'd planned for at least three dateable guys, yet I have two who serve the same purpose and a third without an assigned position.

I'd like to hear any suggestions you have or just general tips. i'd be happy to give more details or answer any questions you have

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Re: No space for characters in plot

#2 Post by Shinoki »

The idea that you have makes me think of those RPG fantasy types of worlds, though I can't say for certain. With that in mind, I would think about the people who would be around the sorcerer-in-training.

Like: the actual sorcerer, random NPC shopkeeper, magical familiar, the hero, prince, etc. What would their relationships be to an apprentice kiddo and how would they actually get attached? (like maybe a debt or just the fact that they tend to hang around the same place or etc.)

Ideas (which are rather trashy, but yea):

If you want both the guards to be guards, then you could have it be something like: they're rivals, fire and ice in personality, and are fighting over something. Main character accidentally walks into the situation, and they make her decide who the winner is. After some event that ends up leaving a big impression on the guards, something like the MC accidentally winning and then fleeing, they end up challenging her/trying to convince her that either one of them is better than the other every time MC comes into town.

For the third guy:

Maybe a thief character that the main character rescues and ends up hiding in her house, which could lead to drama causing her to be kicked out or something

Maybe a not-quite-a-familiar, like a magical black cat who will turn into a bishie when kissed by main character but turns back into a cat after an hour... but wants to stay human so clings to the main character trying to get main character to kiss him

Maybe a rival apprentice who continuously challenges the main character, comedic relief?

Maybe a childhood friend who wants the main character to stop learning magic and nags the main character?

Or on the other hand, a childhood friend who was accidentally hurt by the main character in the past because of the main character using magic. And that friend keeps trying to make up with the main character who has been running away from friend.

Maybe a sorcerer, someone who helps teach the main character magic and leads to love love things? A child genius who was scorned for his high magical talent, yada

Somehow, I feel like all these ideas are rather horribly cheesy, but hope it helps.

Kate
Regular
Projects: Blackout
Organization: Moonlight Otome

#3 Post by Kate »

Shinoki wrote: Maybe a not-quite-a-familiar, like a magical black cat who will turn into a bishie when kissed by main character but turns back into a cat after an hour... but wants to stay human so clings to the main character trying to get main character to kiss him
Some of the best games and television series have had talking cats or sassy cat characters. Sabrina's cat, Salem, was one of the best.
I so hope you take that idea about a cat-bishie! Makes me want to play the game a lot more...

Might I add that magic seems to have specializations? You may be able to think of certain specialties with magic that would be quite handy to have along. Does one make potions? Or lead concentration/focus/aura regeneration or training? What about magic ethics?
Current Project:
Blackout [VN][Romance][GxB][Mystery][Suspense] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=34118
"It is the duty of authors to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic." - K. Auer

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#4 Post by Katy133 »

I think a good idea would be to brainstorm. Think about the world you've created for your story, and what jobs or relationships your characters can have to the world, as well as to your player character.

I'm guessing your world's fantasy version of Medieval times. Well, what jobs were there in a village? Or in a castle? (I'm not sure which you're location setting your game in, but you may want to tell us, as it will be important.)
  1. Alchemist
  2. Bard/Minstrel
  3. Blacksmith
  4. Cook
  5. Knight
  6. Squire
  7. Princess/Prince
  8. Peasant/Farmer
  9. Tailor
  10. Monk
  11. King/Queen
  12. Innkeeper
So, why would these people hang around your main character (MC), an apprentice sorcerer? Maybe a royal or nobleman/woman is worried about being assassinated, and constantly visits the MC for protection charms. Maybe a cook has a chronic illness and need healing potions (that the MC makes) and goes to visit the MC to pick them up on a regular basis.

As for relationships, maybe the characters can be related to one another. Maybe the two guards are siblings, etc. Other types of relationships would be friends, neighbours, or even rivals. I'm guessing the girl helping the MC is a mentor-type figure. Maybe there's also another sorcerer (or other job, like physician or alchemist) who's a rival to the MC, annoyed that the MC is taking potential customers (the MC helps solve people's problems, as you said) away from him?
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

morg wrote:... the player takes the role of a sorcerer-in-making, the whole plot revolves around you learning magic step by step. sometimes you will need to solve the townsfolk's problems, other times it's doing research, etc. the problem here is that I don't know where I'd put any characters, and so far I have about four NPCs just following her around in her travels with no certain objective and it's pretty obvious that they don't have a place in the plot... this is a problem since I'd planned for at least three dateable guys, yet I have two who serve the same purpose and a third without an assigned position.
Some things to consider:

1. How does magic work in your story? Maybe this is a fictional world in which magic is more effective when it's created by two people working together. Not necessarily two people in love -- it can be made by friends, business partners, and people who care for each other as family. This concept might not work for your story. However, I'm writing this because it could be a way to justify why your main character is currently looking for a partner.

2. Do the characters need to go on a journey? Sometimes they can stay in a city and have enough problems to deal with. I'm specifically thinking of Persona 3 and Persona 4, which do not include a large world for the characters to explore. Instead, the characters in both games get involved with a local crisis. The main characters in both 3 and 4 have possible love interests who are in their adventure team, as well as ones who are just people in the town.
morg wrote: Two Guards
Ask yourself who they are, and what they want to achieve. Who were their family, and where did they grow up? What sort of tasks have they done other than guard people or places? Are they assigned to a specific town? Have either of them fallen in love before the story begins?

If necessary, give one of them a different role. Maybe one of them can be a farmer, or a fantasy priest, or something else.
morg wrote: A Girl to assist her in magic (this role can't be changed or replaced)
It's your choice as to what this character's role will be. Perhaps she will be a friend, a mentor, a rival, or a love interest.
morg wrote: A Third guy and Second girl I have no role for
Other people have mentioned some possible roles for these characters. Be sure to think about why they will interact with the main character. Maybe they want to help her learn, or maybe they think she will threaten local magicians. No matter what, they need to provide sources of conflict, or help the main character deal with specific conflicts.

morg
Regular

#6 Post by morg »

Shinoki wrote: Maybe a thief character that the main character rescues and ends up hiding in her house, which could lead to drama causing her to be kicked out or something

Maybe a not-quite-a-familiar, like a magical black cat who will turn into a bishie when kissed by main character but turns back into a cat after an hour... but wants to stay human so clings to the main character trying to get main character to kiss him
I've never actually thought of adding a human that can turn into an animal! I can give this role to the third guy, since he's not human. It would also make his presence lighter, instead of a human following her around he's like a familiar.
Shinoki wrote:Maybe a thief character that the main character rescues and ends up hiding in her house, which could lead to drama causing her to be kicked out or something
I'm going to have to steal that idea lol...for the second guy, instead of being a guard, he could be a bandit with some dark history. (coincidentally, His clothes are actually bandit-style) I still have to give him a purpose to pursue the main character...
gekiganwing wrote:1. How does magic work in your story? Maybe this is a fictional world in which magic is more effective when it's created by two people working together. Not necessarily two people in love -- it can be made by friends, business partners, and people who care for each other as family. This concept might not work for your story.
currently I have it so that the main character is the only human permitted to practise sorcery, but that doesn't mean that I can't make it so that she doesn't need other people's help to cast. But how would her companions support her in casting her spells? I mean they can't tutor her, since they're not allowed to and never have cast magic. Maybe some spiritual things, like power of the soul and all that. This side is still under devolped.
gekiganwing wrote:Ask yourself who they are, and what they want to achieve. Who were their family, and where did they grow up? What sort of tasks have they done other than guard people or places? Are they assigned to a specific town? Have either of them fallen in love before the story begins?
Yeah, I hadn't thought of their pasts beforehand...That would actually help building their characters and giving them a motive

Kate
Regular
Projects: Blackout
Organization: Moonlight Otome

#7 Post by Kate »

What if casting magic LITERALLY drains life force temporarily (I suppose a little like how it worked in Eragon?) So it's dangerous to overexert oneself and the MC would need guarded while she recovered her strength.

OR what I would suggest is she would need another person to draw (some, not all!) energy from to amplify her magic, to make spells or potions more powerful?
Current Project:
Blackout [VN][Romance][GxB][Mystery][Suspense] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=34118
"It is the duty of authors to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic." - K. Auer

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#8 Post by xavimat »

When building a character (protagonist or not) I've been always suggested to focus on his/her objectives, motivations, what he/she wants and desires.
For example, I found a lot of villains boring (in films, mostly), because they are villains and have not actual motivations to do what they do. It seems that "they are villains because the script says so".

In your case, try to think from the point of view of your NPC, one at a time: What would you do and why? A brainstorming, as suggested above, could be useful.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#9 Post by Taleweaver »

I have a very novel idea: If you can't find a plot-related reason why certain characters should be in your story, cut those characters out.

You're not a scriptwriter who got told by your producer that he hired Bradgelina for this project, so you'd better find two great parts for Mr. Pitt and Mrs. Jolie to play. You're free to do what you want. If your plot doesn't require someone to be there, don't write that character.

Now you will want SOME characters in your game. Approach that question organically, the way the story unfolds. You're learning magic step by step. So how do you learn stuff?

1. You probably have a teacher. Character 1.
2. Is there someone who's a fellow student? Next person.
3. Another student, but the one who's competing with you about everything.
4. You're also self-studying from books. There's the librarian, or a person you meet at the library.
5. Someone your magic skills affected somehow. In a good or a bad way.
6. Some creature you summoned, accidentally or on purpose.
7. You see what I'm going for, mh?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

morg
Regular

#10 Post by morg »

nice! I think I will be stealing the summoning idea if that's ok
I've actually thought about just getting rid of some characters, i've gotten rid of one already (poor girl) as for the third guy, he's in danger of facing elimination too.. but that would make things a bit lonely. i'd really like to keep them so i'll have to compromise

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

I'd rather have you stealing my "organic approach" to building your dramatis personae, but other ideas are fine too.

Incidentally, I stole that "summoned creature" idea from myself, or rather from my older VN "Daemonophilia". Despite the name, it's actually a quite sweet little story featuring a loser and a succubus he accidentally summons. Might want to check that out for ideas too.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Emiya24
Regular
Projects: Ram the Necromancer
Deviantart: Emiya24

#12 Post by Emiya24 »

Im actually writing something similar xD

I have a protagonist who is learning magic that will eventually turn into a villain protagonist
A Character that will sort of a guide the protag
The Cycnical friend that will often level the protag's idealistic views

well i think my story is a little on the darker side .-.
anyways during my story crafting my other characters would often just be dragged around (I assume thats what your problem)
I got over this by assigning contrast with my characters to create tension which leads to a plot point (ex. a disagreement with characters leads one to split away from group, requiring you to go find him/her and the plot develops from there) and another thing i did is to split exposition (because everyone is stupid in one field and a genius in another)