Do you doubt your writing?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Do you doubt your writing?

#16 Post by Mammon »

There are writers that doubt their work and there are people that don't. You do not want to be the latter. The latter is a 14-year-old <popular show> fanfic writer. Always be critical of your work.

About the question of whether you should steamroll to the end, I'd say yes. That is however my own opinion, others can have a different opinion that is just as valid. We're not all the same, after all. But for me, I tend to think back to this little bit of experience: When writing my first draft, I noticed halfway that my protagonist was unintentionally a psychopath. Not even a little, he was literally considering the emotions and lives of the people around him as pieces on a chessboard. I kept writing until the end of the story though, because I knew that once I began rewriting things I couldn't stop. I had to finish the story before I would rewrite anything. Considering the questions you asked in the opening post, I think you're the kind of perfectionist that might be trapped in endless rewrites as well once you start. (But what do I know, you know yourself better than anyone else. If you disagree: ignore me!)

And about the revealing too early thing, I stuggled with this as well. There was one thing I did want to foreshadow but not to make obvious, and I simply couldn't find the right balance. I, as the writer, already knew what was going to happen. I didn't know if it would be too obvious or coming out of nowhere. That's something only the reader can decide upon, and sometimes there can be some factors involved that you didn't expect, like how it turned out that I unintentionally already foreshadowed the issue with the sprite but kept it just vague enough because my art-skill was crappy enough for people to assume I didn't do it on purpose.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?